Coffee Flavor in Beer - Not Intended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
Since changing our brew set up two batches ago, both batches have had a pronounced coffee flavor without being any where near a coffee bean.

New set up is a 10 gallon aluminum HLT with brass ball valve -> Rubbermaid mash tun with false bottom (been used for 10 batches or so with no issue) -> 10 gallon aluminium boil kettle with brass ball valve. Cooling is the "Jamil method" where we whirlpool with a pump up through a copper arm which pushes hot wort through the immersion chiller.

Before using the pots, I boiled 8 gallons of water in each to form an oxide layer to prevent leaching aluminium. None of our cleaning or sanitation practices have changed and this has never been an issue before.

1st batch was a Wheat IPA that I mashed too hot due to an software input value. I dropped the temp 15 min into mash, but wort was too dextrinous and finished at 1.030. Tasted sample and it tasted just like the Mikkeller Koppi IPA.

2nd batch was a Saison w/ Dupont yeast. Mashed at 148 for 90 min. Pump clogged during whirlpool, spent forever on it, and finally gave up. Took a sample today to check gravity and it stalled out like it often does. The sample I pulled also had a pronounced coffee taste and aroma.

Where is this coming from?

Could be astringent off flavors. Usually comes from pulling tannins out of the grain if everything is too hot

That was my thought for the White IPA when I took a sample. I figured I pulled some tannins out.

The saison however was mashed in at 162, held at 148 for 90 min, and mashed out at 165.

The malt bill of both was super light.

Wheat IPA: Pilsner, Malted Wheat, Flaked Wheat
Saison: 100% Pilsner

Both boiled at least 90 min.

Back