Calling Bergen County Home Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So at our first meeting i'd thrown out the idea of a group brew day on May 4th because it was the AHA big brew day. Now i realized that May 4th is this saturday. Is anyone interested in still doing this? I'll offer up my house as a location, i also was saying i'll throw a few racks of ribs on the smoker.

So let's see if anyone is interested. Even if you don't wanna brew and wanna come over hang out, bring some beers to try whatever. I actually don't have much drinkable beer on hand right now, i've got an unknown quantity of amber ale and some vanilla porter on tap (again, not sure how much). So respond here and we can figure out a time and stuff. I was leaning towards starting my brew day (i'm doing a IIPA) around 1-2 or so, but am flexible.

My friend is getting married that day. Not having a wedding but a dinner and he hasn't even got back to me about when yet. I'd like to make it but its my good friend and I need to be there for him. I'm hoping the dinner isn't until 7-8pm. Its an hour away so I'm not sure I'd be able to brew a batch myself but I'd come to meet everyone and hang out. I have one batch bottled that's okay I could bring for tasting.

So since i didn't see any positive responses until tonight, i pushed my brew day back until sunday.

Maybe we can set up a meeting in the next few weeks where a bunch of us can make it. Someone throw out a date and we can go from there. Maybe weekend before memorial day?

Hi! Today is a beautiful day for a brew day! I am still putting a bathroom back together. Ugh.

I will check my calendar and propose a few dates. Weekend before Memorial Day looks do-able, unless that ends up being the last construction weekend.

Did any of you guys enter the NHC at the ny judging site? Just saw the results were in, including a 2nd or 3rd ip from a fellow in Closter.

Hi! Today is a beautiful day for a brew day! I am still putting a bathroom back together. Ugh.

I will check my calendar and propose a few dates. Weekend before Memorial Day looks do-able, unless that ends up being the last construction weekend.

Did any of you guys enter the NHC at the ny judging site? Just saw the results were in, including a 2nd or 3rd ip from a fellow in Closter.

Hey guys, I'm the guy with the 3rd place (ESB)from Closter. It was the first time I've ever entered a competition so I was pretty excited that I came in 3rd. I've been following this thread for a while and have been trying to make one of the meet ups butive always had a conflict. Hopefully I'll be able to join everyone at the next one.

Congrats dude. Maybe a few of us can get some beers together for the nj home brew comp in a few months. And I'd love to try some of that esb that is going to the second round.

I had a pretty good brew day. DIPA with 9 oz of high alpha hops in the boil, another 4 ready for dry hop. Should be pretty good. Or at least I hit all my numbers and there were no hiccups. So should be a good beer in a few weeks.

I'm around each weekend except Memorial Day so ill be around.

13 oz of hops. Yes please.

I also brewed today, made my first lager. It is about to go into fermentation chamber, as soon as it gets to bubbling. Its gonna be really hard to wait till October to drink it.

Yes please! I do love a good DIPA.

Tonight I tasted my pre-prohibition cream ale, which was the first brew on my new system. I was worried, but as luck would have it I made beer. Fairly simple, but the Helga hops are adding some unexpected complexity. Definitely need to get some feedback from you all.

Now, lets discuss this nj home brew comp. I was surfing the competition listing on the aha website, but they do not make it easy to find stuff. What's the scoop?

-b

It's run in conjunction with the nj state fair. Put on by the SCUBA club which I believe is out in the Sparta area. Registration happens some time in June I think and entries are due by mid July.

Cool thing is that the overall winner gets to brew their beer at/with kroughs brewpub. I think I'm gonna have three or so beers to enter, a wit, a saison, and possibly hoppy brown. I don't think my double ipa will last that long so won't be entering that.

Hrmmm.. I will have to enter. I should have put some of this cream ale in 12-ouncers (Since I am still not kegging, I opt for bombers). It would probably be judged out of style, but the feedback would be fun.

I'll definitely enter my gose (concensus seems to be category 23), and I may have time to queue up a biere de garde. I think Bergen county should enter everything we can.

How'd your wit end up? I read "brewing with wheat" over the winter, and I've been curious to try one myself.

I'll definitely bring some ESB when I'm able to meetup with you guys. I'm going to brew another batch for my second round entries to make sure it's fresh. So I'll have plenty to share. I wouldn't mind entering a beer or two in the nj competition either. Just not sure what to enter right now. I'm brewing Jamil's Evil twin recipe this weekend but that might not do so well because its probably too hoppy for the American amber category. Maybe I'll brew an IPA or hefe

Hey guys, sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit. I've been pretty busy with work and coaching. Anyways, I want to meet up and share some homebrews soon. I recently kicked my German Pils keg so all I have now is my Moose Drool Clone. Two weeks ago I brewed an Apricot Blonde which is currently sitting on 3lb of apricot puree and I'm brewing another German Pils and then a West Coast Red next. Hope all is well with everyone and look forward to sharing some brews.

So is anyone able to do the 25th of May for a meetup? i'd say around 5 or so at three wise monks? Or is it easier for people to do week days? I'm pretty flexible, and would just like to see as many people be able to make it as possible. It seemed like three wise monks in garfield was pretty cool with the idea of us bringing in homebrews to taste, as long as we also purchased a few beers as well as sharing with the guys. If we can get a few guys to commit to coming and bringing along beers i'd go over to the monks and make sure it would be cool.

So is anyone able to do the 25th of May for a meetup? i'd say around 5 or so at three wise monks? Or is it easier for people to do week days? I'm pretty flexible, and would just like to see as many people be able to make it as possible. It seemed like three wise monks in garfield was pretty cool with the idea of us bringing in homebrews to taste, as long as we also purchased a few beers as well as sharing with the guys. If we can get a few guys to commit to coming and bringing along beers i'd go over to the monks and make sure it would be cool.

I think I should be available on the 25th. Definitely wouldn't mind meeting up

Well I just realized the 25th is Memorial Day weekend because I can't read a calendar. I'm gonna be out of town but hopefully most of you guys can make it.

I live in DC and am a member of a club down here, but I grew up in Mahwah. I'll be up the 25th visiting my parents and I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with you guys!

Heya guys:

As luck would have it, my better half is out of town and I'm going to have a bit of time tomorrow afternoon.... anyone want to get together for a beer at Andy's or the Monks?

-b

wish i was around, but i've got a birthday party i don't want to go to that my presence has been requested for.

So weird question, or maybe not so weird. Is anyone interested in doing a barrel project? I just got an email back from a winemaking place in Ramsey that is going to have red wine barrels available in july (I have not heard a price yet on the barrell, so that might squash the idea right there). I have no idea if it would even be worth the time/effort/expense/whatever, but the idea of getting 5+ guys together to brew a buttload of beer, load it into a wine barrel and then everyone gets 5-10 gallons of it afterwards might be pretty cool.

So that's 4 of us, I know a guy or two and I'm sure there would a few more. I'm waiting to hear on the price of the barrel, but then we can go from there. Timeframe is looking like early August so lots of time to plan it out.

I haven't heard anything about this in a while. I had originally signed up but it turns out I'm not going to be able to make it. My wife made plans to hang out with her family tonight.

Hi everyone! I am back after a few weeks of work travel. Wasn't fun, but the good news is that I got to taste a lot of beer and a couple of mine were ready when I got home. My Leipzig gose is finally over the awkward phase, but it is definitely a love-or-hate concoction.

But that'll go in the state fair along with a Saison that I may enter as something else once I have a chance to taste.

Now I want to do one or two long-term projects. Thinking about an American barleywine or maybe a gueuze? After that, who knows :)
What's everyone been up to?

So who's got what entering into the NJ state fair competition? I've got two entries in (one in 23A Specialty Beer and one in 6B Blonde Ale). I could enter more if they took bombers, but they don't.

Back