Extract kit no dextrose ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
I purchased a kit from a local brew supply. It for a Citra IPA, my first IPA . The ingredient list is normal
6.6 LME
8 oz pilsner
8 oz cara
3oz Citra
American ale yeast
But no dextrose?

Fermentables are the LME and what ever you can get out if the pilsner and cara. If you are talking about the sugar for bottling you can always set some at a bulk food store. Do some reading about DME, it's a much better product to add than straight up dextrose.

That sounds good. You don't need dextrose for most beers, although sometimes in IPAs, you can use some for a higher ABV with a dry finish in the beer.

In most cases, the beer is better without dextrose in it, except for a tiny bit for priming the bottles when bottling.

I figured the op meant that they didn't give the usual 5oz bag of dextrose for priming? I used a pound of demerara sugar in my NZ hopped IPA to get the OG up into range for American IPA. didn't get enough DME,& mashed 6lbs of grain already.

You will find you get more body from a beer made with all DME instead of dextrose. While there are some brews that benefit from added sugar to help dry them out, the ones I have seen have been higher gravity beers. I think your recipe looks good. Brew it up! :mug:

Back