Double IPA Kern River Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on a double batch ~10 gallons for Home Brewer day (5/4). Any final verdict on using original recipe (Nugget for bittering and WLP001) vs using warrior and another yeast?

I am truley lazy and dry hopped leaf and pellets without a bag. i even cold crashed with the hops in for a few more days. No grassy flavors.

This beer gets better with age. It gets less grapefruit and more balanced every day. Unfortunetly this keg will kick soon. May have to tinker with this one to make it my own. Next time I'm using a different yeast.

My next batch based on this recipe I'm going to use Conan yeast to see how that turns out.

I recommend against changing the gravity on this one. Its balance and flavor work really well where they are at and I agree its a very borderline "imperial IPA."

I've had very good luck so far making it as a 6 gallon recipe and doing 100% of the dry hopping in the fermenting bucket, and then crashing on Day 12. I then rack off of the sludge and got close to commercial levels of clarity (well, the commercial brewers who aren't flat-out filtering to sterile levels) in the 8 days it took to carbonate.

mooshimanx said:
I recommend against changing the gravity on this one. Its balance and flavor work really well where they are at and I agree its a very borderline "imperial IPA."

I've had very good luck so far making it as a 6 gallon recipe and doing 100% of the dry hopping in the fermenting bucket, and then crashing on Day 12. I then rack off of the sludge and got close to commercial levels of clarity (well, the commercial brewers who aren't flat-out filtering to sterile levels) in the 8 days it took to carbonate.

Well, I'll let you know how my batch comes out. Going for a 5 gal batch, and bumped the gravity to 1.075. Pretty small increase, so I hope it keeps things in balance.

How long did you guys find it took for this beer to ferment for? I'm coming up on 7 days, and I'm going to pull a hydro sample. Per the podcast, they say it can be anywhere from 6-8 days before they rack and dryhop. I used San Diego super yeast from white labs, which is supposed to be a fast fermenting yeast. My ferm started within 2 hrs of pitching

How long did you guys find it took for this beer to ferment for? I'm coming up on 7 days, and I'm going to pull a hydro sample. Per the podcast, they say it can be anywhere from 6-8 days before they rack and dryhop. I used San Diego super yeast from white labs, which is supposed to be a fast fermenting yeast. My ferm started within 2 hrs of pitching

I left mine in primary for 12 days (probably longer than I had to) and transferred to my corny keg for dry hopping/secondary. When I transferred my gravity reading was 1.010 and had been for about 4 days. Be patient with this beer. After the 12 days of dry hopping I couldn't wait to get it carbed up so I could drink it, and at first I was a little disappointed. It was good but nothing special. It's been kegged for about 2 weeks now, and it tastes like a completely different beer than it did 10 days ago. It's hitting it's sweet spot, and it's awesome.

Dave1096 said:
I left mine in primary for 12 days (probably longer than I had to) and transferred to my corny keg for dry hopping/secondary. When I transferred my gravity reading was 1.010 and had been for about 4 days. Be patient with this beer. After the 12 days of dry hopping I couldn't wait to get it carbed up so I could drink it, and at first I was a little disappointed. It was good but nothing special. It's been kegged for about 2 weeks now, and it tastes like a completely different beer than it did 10 days ago. It's hitting it's sweet spot, and it's awesome.

I went 22 days in the conical then racked to carboys for dry hopping. I was at 1.014. It fermented at about 62 degrees.

Just brewed this yesterday, had to use 8oz corn sugar to hit the OG. My efficiency is a little low.
Wort smelled delicious as a i racked to the FV. Great brew that ive been trying to get my hands on but it seems this is a close clone so 5gal will suffice!

Cheers vegan thx for another sick DIPA recipe. Brewing your updated Heady recipe on sunday!

I brewed this on 3/24 and stuck to the recipe with the exception of of using wyeast 1056. Kept in primary for 21 days and racked to a keg for dry hopping. Got down to 1.008. Close to 8% ABV. It turned out awesome. The balance between the hops and malt is perfect and goes down SMOOTH. If you can find citra hops I highly encourage you to try this one out. Think of it as a double Zombie Dust.

Kern is bringing citra to the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival

If you go make sure to stop by their booth

I brewed this on 3/24 and stuck to the recipe with the exception of of using wyeast 1056. Kept in primary for 21 days and racked to a keg for dry hopping. Got down to 1.008. Close to 8% ABV. It turned out awesome. The balance between the hops and malt is perfect and goes down SMOOTH. If you can find citra hops I highly encourage you to try this one out. Think of it as a double Zombie Dust.

Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are the same yeast. You didn't deviate at all! I get a lot of requests to brew this beer, but it does take a pretty ridiculous dry hop + hop bill overall with all that Citra.

mooshimanx said:
Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are the same yeast. You didn't deviate at all! I get a lot of requests to brew this beer, but it does take a pretty ridiculous dry hop + hop bill overall with all that Citra.

And that's why it's so goooooood!!!!!

This was a very nice beer! Citra and Amarillo were unavailable so I substituted Cascade for the Citra and Falconers Flight for the Amarillo.

I'm having to ration it so that I don't drink it all!!!

I want to brew this over the weekend. I have everything except the 2 of the malts. Thinking about substituting as follows?

Crystal 10L - Cara Blonde (10L / 20 EBC)
Honey Malt - Cara Ruby (50 EBC) - i dont expect to get honey flavours from that. More toffee / caramel

Do you think that will work? any other ideas?

I want to brew this over the weekend. I have everything except the 2 of the malts. Thinking about substituting as follows?

Crystal 10L - Cara Blonde (10L / 20 EBC)
Honey Malt - Cara Ruby (50 EBC) - i dont expect to get honey flavours from that. More toffee / caramel

Do you think that will work? any other ideas?

I'm not sure I would sub for the honey malt...the grain bill in this recipe goes really, really well with all the citra hops. In my opinion, the honey malt has alot to do with that. I'm sure your variation would be good, but it would change the beer alot.

Dave1096 said:
I'm not sure I would sub for the honey malt...the grain bill in this recipe is really, really good with all the citra hops. In my opinion, the honey malt has alot to do with that. I'm sure your variation would be good, but it would change the beer alot.

+1 - in the brewer interview on "can you brew it," the Kern River guy states that the honey malt does a lot to bring the other malts together. It has a lot more impact (supposedly) than just the honey flavor.

Also note that honey malt is around 25 srm, so your result will be a bit darker.

The subs may make a great beer ... Just not sure if it'll still be this beer.

+1 - in the brewer interview on "can you brew it," the Kern River guy states that the honey malt does a lot to bring the other malts together. It has a lot more impact (supposedly) than just the honey flavor.

Also note that honey malt is around 25 srm, so your result will be a bit darker.

The subs may make a great beer ... Just not sure if it'll still be this beer.

Thanks I realize that and I'd like to use the honey malt, but it is absolutely impossible to get it in South Africa.

I have a friend going to the States in July, so I'll try and get her to bring some back then. For now I'll have to sub it...

Here's a link to the LHBS - there are a few others, but they all carry the same malt:

http://beerguevara.com/category/brew-ingredients/maltsandgrains/

I have to choose a sub from that list

IN-EFFING-SANE recipe vegan once again!!

This has to be the best batch ive brewed in the 2 years of brewing, the honey malt offers so much to the table, brings it all together and gives you that sugar twang without the sweetness itself. Mine finsihed at .009 but also only hit .069 on SG.

Also used an oz less citra in dry hop but left the first charge in with yeast and racked into keg for 2nd and 3rd additions, left warm for 5 days, chilled and pressured @18psi for 10 days before removing DH. Sit for 3 days and today pulled my first real pint. The cloudy orange hue is spot on while still being clear enough for a glance of light thru the glass.

My one last statement will be that citra is an INSANE hop to work with and gives such beautifully lush floral tones with a dank tropical fruit body. This is my 3rd all citra brew, 6th time working with it and other hops. I feel as thought anything you throw at this beast just brings it down and if your spending 18-25$ on a Pound of hops they better shine the same way the price tag does.

When using citra, keep nothing else a witcha!
Cheers guys
Happy memorial weekend to all!!

I brewed the KRBC Citra last Friday the 24th. I substituted Warrior for Nugget, and moved the 30 minute to whirlpool, then I split the 10 gallons into two 5 gallon carboys. One with WLP001 and one with WLP007. Both are fermenting at 64* in my keezer.

However, I had a pretty big screw up. It was my first batch on my 10 gallon Brutus-like stand having come from 5 gallon batches in coolers. During mash-in I missed my target temp of 149* by a few degrees at 144*, so I cranked on the heat and recirculated for several minutes. When the temperature did not budge from 144 I realized that I must have had a dough ball around the temp probe. I was right. I stirred the mash to find that I overheated to ~162. I added a gallon of ice water to the mash which brought it down into the mid-150's. I stirred until it settled at 152 and I let it fall over an hour to 146 before a mashed out and began sparging.
In the end, I overshot the gravity at 1.074. I'm supposing that my FG will be higher because of the missed mash temperature. I hope it doesn't come out astringent or overly sweet.
I also plan to do all of my dry hopping in the primary. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I brewed the KRBC Citra last Friday the 24th. I substituted Warrior for Nugget, and moved the 30 minute to whirlpool, then I split the 10 gallons into two 5 gallon carboys. One with WLP001 and one with WLP007. Both are fermenting at 64* in my keezer.

However, I had a pretty big screw up. It was my first batch on my 10 gallon Brutus-like stand having come from 5 gallon batches in coolers. During mash-in I missed my target temp of 149* by a few degrees at 144*, so I cranked on the heat and recirculated for several minutes. When the temperature did not budge from 144 I realized that I must have had a dough ball around the temp probe. I was right. I stirred the mash to find that I overheated to ~162. I added a gallon of ice water to the mash which brought it down into the mid-150's. I stirred until it settled at 152 and I let it fall over an hour to 146 before a mashed out and began sparging.
In the end, I overshot the gravity at 1.074. I'm supposing that my FG will be higher because of the missed mash temperature. I hope it doesn't come out astringent or overly sweet.
I also plan to do all of my dry hopping in the primary. Keeping my fingers crossed.

You're FG will almost definitely be high because of all the unfermentable sugars you'll have, but that might not be a bad thing depending on where you end up. Did you make yeast starters? If your yeast can get you down to somewhere in the 1.014 range or lower it might be pretty good depending on your personal tastes. This beer definitely has a bit of a sweet taste from the honey malt, but not so much that a little bit of a higher FG will make it undrinkable.

Dave1096 said:
You're FG will almost definitely be high because of all the unfermentable sugars you'll have, but that might not be a bad thing depending on where you end up. Did you make yeast starters? If your yeast can get you down to somewhere in the 1.014 range or lower it might be pretty good depending on your personal tastes. This beer definitely has a bit of a sweet taste from the honey malt, but not so much that a little bit of a higher FG will make it undrinkable.

I made hearty yeast starters for both strains. I tend to get good attenuation in general, but we'll see with these. I will be thrilled if I get 1.014. The WLP007 has almost floc'd out, and the 001 still has a nice krausen head on it. I'll take a reading on the 007 this weekend. Thanks for the reply.

Making this as we speak. Converted it to a PM due to my own restrictions. Love citra hops and am excited to have this going

I made hearty yeast starters for both strains. I tend to get good attenuation in general, but we'll see with these. I will be thrilled if I get 1.014. The WLP007 has almost floc'd out, and the 001 still has a nice krausen head on it. I'll take a reading on the 007 this weekend. Thanks for the reply.

It will be good...this is a great recipe, and 1.074 really isn't that much higher than what you were shooting for, anyway. When I brewed this I got down to 1.010 from 1.069 using 001...I think you'll end up pretty close to where you want to be. Like I said before, I think a slightly higher FG will still be good, but I don't know how much higher until it becomes too sweet. The honey malt already adds alot of sweetness to this beer, and there isn't much bitterness to balance out too much additional sweetness. I'd be curious to see where you're at when you take samples.

On a side note, 001 is a beast, though. I just brewed a different recipe with a slightly scaled up version of this grain bill and my 001 took me from 1.072 to 1.008 in 5 days...but that yeast always seems to take forever to drop out of suspension for me.

Dave1096 said:
On a side note, 001 is a beast, though. I just brewed a different recipe with a slightly scaled up version of this grain bill and my 001 took me from 1.072 to 1.008 in 5 days...but that yeast always seems to take forever to drop out of suspension for me.

Yeah, my 007 has floc'd out but the 001 still has a nice 1.5" head on it. Do you wait for it to drop before you dry hop?

Yeah, my 007 has floc'd out but the 001 still has a nice 1.5" head on it. Do you wait for it to drop before you dry hop?

I do...I leave my beers in primary for about 2 weeks. By then the krausen has usually all dropped, and then I chill for 2 days to cold crash to my keg. I dry hop in my keg for about 10-12 days then chill and begin carbing. That's just my method.

Im sure you'll be OK.... I purposely modified my recipe to hit 1.074, and actually hit 1.073. Turned out amazing.. Used 001 as well with a hefty starter. I finished at 1.012

One problem I am starting to have: I am about 1/2 way thru my keg. I think my dry hopper from stainless brewing let out a TON of hop particulates into my keg while dry hopping... In fact, I know it did... I get a thick layer of particulate in each glass I pull, and it has not gone away. I am starting to pick up some funky flavors in the beer now. Its not nearly as good as it was when I took my first few pints. Im a little bummed out with this device... I had high hopes for it, but I am now going to be nervous about using it again. I may use it, but put my hops in a bag and then put into the sleeve. I have a surly furious clone to do, and that one uses 8.5 oz of dry hops.

I always dry hop right in my primary. I have never tried the keg, mostly for that reason. I have a speidel that has a large opening that I can easily take bagged hops out of if needed. However, the Citra is going in to 2 better bottles. I'm probably going to throw the hops right in and cold crash at the end.
After 7 days:
WLP007 - 1.020
WLP001 - 1.026
I haven't added the dry hops yet and this thing already smells like passion fruit juice. The 007 seems to be more bitter thus far while the 001 seems to have a smoother complexity. Both are delicious. I'll take another gravity reading in a few days. The good news is I didn't pick up any astringency.

One problem I am starting to have: I am about 1/2 way thru my keg. I think my dry hopper from stainless brewing let out a TON of hop particulates into my keg while dry hopping... In fact, I know it did... I get a thick layer of particulate in each glass I pull, and it has not gone away. I am starting to pick up some funky flavors in the beer now. Its not nearly as good as it was when I took my first few pints. Im a little bummed out with this device... I had high hopes for it, but I am now going to be nervous about using it again. I may use it, but put my hops in a bag and then put into the sleeve. I have a surly furious clone to do, and that one uses 8.5 oz of dry hops.

That sucks...it looks like such a good product, too. I just put my dry hops in a hop bag with a drawstring and I secure the drawstring with a hose clamp to the bottom side of the pressure relief valve on my corny lid. Never have hop particle issues.

Bottled three weeks ago and this is the final result. Epic brew with heavy tropical fruit and very well balanced. Going into the regular rotation!

Citra.jpg

I wrapped up my fermentation last weekend went with the nugget since I don't have warrior on hand. I cold crashed Thursday night and kegged with the final Dry Hop on Saturday around 10 PSI. I would have done the dry hop warm, but since I can't get back to it for two weeks I figured this would be safer. The plan is to bleed it, open it up, and pull the hop bag out next weekend. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

PS - +1 for dry hopping in primary. I did my PTY clone in a single 6.5 gal carboy, so I figured I'd do the same here. One less bottle to clean.

Just legged this. I altered the hop additions slightly(made additions in .5 and 1 oz quantities). Came out very very good. Definitely a very passion fruit/cities nose with a week rounded bright body. A hop monster but subtle in the attack. Definitely a citra fan here.

Brewed this two weekends ago, OG came in at 1.046. Figured out after the fact that my thermometer (been using it for years) was completely inaccurate so I likely mashed around 137 or 138.

That said its down to 1.006 now and the sample still tasted great :mug:

This will be my next beer too so I can do it properly.

Thanks for the recipe vegan, enjoy your blog too, will be doing your abrasive recipe sometime soon.

Personally, I'm a naturalist if you will. I don't use a hyrdometer(ill get around to it), and I have a very "some of this some of that" cooking/brewing style. I should note my beers get rave reviews among friends and guest, including blind tastes, but I've never entered one in competition.

That said,

I did a partial mash, 1.75g mash to 4lbs grains(2lb 2 row), sparge with 1.75g. Combine, add 6lb dme before the boil.

Sat in primary for 3 weeks. .001 is a savage. Most activity was in day 2-6, and was cleaning up nicely by day 10. Dry hopped after 2 weeks, Kegged and force carbed. Still sitting on the gas and where I want it.

Solid IPA. Definitely a fav. Looking back I might add a touch more zythos(Amarillo) and back off of the first citra addition just a hair. The nose is very passion fruit, and its fantastic the aroma itself could have a bit more body to match the mouthfeel.

I could definitely see kern river tinkering with this one endlessly.

Would the fact that I milled my grains 3 weeks ago be the main reason my OG was 1.051? I thought it would be way higher since all the temperatures seemed to be correct for mashing and sparging. Was trying to figure out what else I can do, was thinking of adding a lb of corn sugar. I will pitch yeast in 12 hours or so.

I usually have some difficulty with hitting the OG, but this is ridiculous. My grains were milled 3 weeks ago and kept in my house which can get in the 80's during the day.

I ended up throwing 4 oz of light DME, 8 oz of amber DME and 12 oz of sugar in a pot and boiled for 15 minutes with a small dose of hops and upped my OG ten points to 1.062 then oxygenated and pitched 2 packs of S-05. Not my preferred plan, but basically what I had available to work with. Will see how it goes.

Im sure you'll be OK.... I purposely modified my recipe to hit 1.074, and actually hit 1.073. Turned out amazing.. Used 001 as well with a hefty starter. I finished at 1.012

If you do everything on KRBC timelines, the first pint tastes like straight up mango and then levels out to a more traditional flavor profile in about a week. My guess is that the flavor you get on Day 1 of it being carbonated is not the intent.

I just throw the hops directly into the secondary; I assume the stainless unit goes straight up in the keg? I would have assumed that it would just sink out rather than float around like that.

I wrapped up my fermentation last weekend went with the nugget since I don't have warrior on hand. I cold crashed Thursday night and kegged with the final Dry Hop on Saturday around 10 PSI. I would have done the dry hop warm, but since I can't get back to it for two weeks I figured this would be safer. The plan is to bleed it, open it up, and pull the hop bag out next weekend. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

PS - +1 for dry hopping in primary. I did my PTY clone in a single 6.5 gal carboy, so I figured I'd do the same here. One less bottle to clean.

Well, the Nugget is the original recipe, so its probably closer. I didn't see any reason to go with Nugget after doing it with Warrior (which is my generic bittering hop of choice), but I bet any difference would be exceedingly marginal.

Back