Anyone brewed with UK Admirals or UK Pilgrim Hops ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kike_gimenez

Reaction score
Greetings :mug:

So I have a few leftovers and started thinking about a possible use of this hops/malts for something like an English IPA using mostly Late additions of Pilgrims which Ive known to be able to dual purpose (bittering + aroma). And the 60 min bittering addition would be with a bit of UK Admiral.

Both profiles Ive read have this so far:

UK Pilgrim:

"UK Pilgrim (9 - 13%) - In brewing trials Pigrim performed well as a replacement for high alpha or dual purpose hops. Profile similar to "Pioneer". Because of its alpha it has been compared to Target more than any other variety, but with a much hoppier aroma. Great bittering as well as finishing hop . Aroma is distinctively hoppy with pleasant lemon tones. Ales. Possible subs: Target, Challenger" Quote taken from http://www.butlerwinery.com/PDF/Hop%20descriptions.pdf

UK Admiral:

" Good high alpha acid hop used mainly as a replacement for Target. Not as harsh as Target with a more pleasing hoppy aroma." from http://www.mashspargeboil.com/hop-varieties/

"Pedigree: Bred at Wye College
Brewing Usage: Bittering
Aroma: Pleasant, hoppy
Alpha Acids: 13.5 — 16.2%
Beta Acids: 4.8 — 6.0%
Co-Humulone: 37 — 45% of alpha acids
Total Oil: 1.0 — 1.7 mls/100g
General Trade: Perception: Very good high alpha hop
Possible Substitutions: Target, Northdown, Challenger
Typical Beer Styles: Ales
Additional Information: Bred at HRI Wye to increase the range of UK high alpha varieties; released in 1998" from [URL="]http://www.hopunion.com/assets/file/Variety%20Book%20%282%29.pdf"[/URL]

Since both are suppose to be citrus/lemon bittering. I was thinking it might be good to try an make an English IPA alike. With these hops.

I know these hops are the usual hops for an IPA. I just got them really really cheap couldnt say no. LOL. So now i wanna know if I can make something good out of them :ban:

For the malts Im thinking about 88-90% Base Malt + 8-10% Crystal 80ish + 2-3.5% Roasted Barley. I dont have access to english malts, these are U.S malts. Aiming for a Light clear brown with a Red touch.

From where I see it. Its an attempt for an American IPA but with citrus/lemon UK Hops.

Anyway I have everything set for it I most likely will be brewing this recipe this weekend. Just wanted thoughts on these hops and If anyone has ever tried them. Because I haven't found anyone that has. LOL

Thanks for reading. Have a good one.

:mug:

Did a true brew ipa kit that used Pilgrim at 60 min. Didn't really get a whole lot of citrus note from it, however who knows how long the pellets sat in the box on the shelf and it was only 1oz/5G.

Thanks for your input Evan.

So basically not many of us brewers have tried these hops. I went on and did the brew.

Ill post here the results. Nothing relevant to address during the boil, basically same aromas any other hop brings. As for the taste before primary. It tasted pretty good. A little bit too mellow tho. For an IPA.

I used 1 oz of Admiral for bittering and 1 oz of Pilgrim for aroma/flavor (10mins and 0 mins). I guess as Evan says you might wanna add a little more than an ounce to really bring that citrus flavor out.

Anyways... will keep this updated after 3-4 weeks once this brew is keged.

Cheers all!:mug:

I brewed Janet's Brown Ale with Pilgrim in place of the Northern Brewer. 1 oz mash hop,.6 oz at 60 and, 1 oz at 15. May not be able to pick out the Pilgrim too much because of the 3 oz of centennial additions late. I'll post my results.

I just made an ESB (5-gallon) and dry-hopped with Pilgrim (1 oz.) Dry hopping for a total of 3 days. I am bottling this Saturday 2/9/2013. Excited to taste how it turns out.

Ive brewed with them a while ago,I think I still have some ageing in my basement,like the pilgrim maybe not admirable.I think they are mild/medium.And those descriptions in the origional start of this thread are pretty good ones to go by as far as my perception of them from brewing with them a few times. I think they may work a little better maybe in lighter style ales also. I think they would work well for aroma,if I was to brew with them again I would try using them late/dryhopping more the next time.

I agree they would get drowned out by hoppy american hops though.And probably wouldnt get carried away with using too much of a variety of hops with them also. Id probably like to make an oktoberfest or copper ale or pumpkin with them possibly or even a lager.

Hey all!

Oregonianredbird, I did the brew a while ago. Turned out pretty decent. As mentioned the notes of these hops arent as strong as i thought, I ended up doing an IPA using Admiral for bittering and Pilgrim for Aroma/flavor.

Notes are piney, woody, earthy, not so much floral or citrus detected by my. Decent hops nothing great, just its price hehehe.

I think you will be fine with columbus and pilgrim. Which one were u plannin on using for bittering?

Cheers!

My thoughts right now are bitter with Columbus and flavor with Pilgrim, shooting for about a 6-6.5%, 50-60 IBU beer. At one point I was considering dry hopping with something that would add a touch of citrus, but now I'm thinking that might clash too much with the Pilgrim.

Back