Blonde ale recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBrewer

Reaction score
I've put together a Blonde Ale recipe that i'd like some feedback on. I wanted it to have some backbone but let me know if this is too much....

5# Extra Light DME
8oz Carapils (steeped 25min)
4oz Crystal 10L (steeped 25 min)
4oz Belgian Biscuit Malt (steeped 25 min)
4oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (steeped 25 min)

1oz Cascape (60min)
.5oz Willamette (5min)

1 Whirlfloc tab (15 min)

comes to about 26 ibu's and 5.1%. Is this too much malt for a blonde though? I'm trying to get some BMC people into craft beer. Figured this would be a gateway.

May want to cut the biscuit in half, it will darken it up a bit.

If your goal is to convert BMC drinkers to the merits of good beer, then you are right on track. The low IBU will not scare them away, and the color will be light enough not to freak them out either. (I have heard WAY too many BMC drinkers say "I don't like dark beer"). Cutting or dropping the Biscuit will get you pretty close to a "cream ale" and should taste WAY better than Miller Lite ever could. I say that you should use a neutral yeast like Notty or US-05 and ferment cool for a clean flavor profile. Once your buddies find out that beer does not have to taste terrible, you will have them drinking IIPA's in no time!!!

Back