Need Help With My Ward Lab Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
So I have well water along with a softener, I sent out a sample after the softener and this is what they sent me. I brew mostly 2.5 gal batches of IPA's and APA's but want to get into some Lagers in the future.

I could use some advice on what kind of water treatments I should do? Thanks.

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 83
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.14
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.4 / 1.3
ppm
Sodium, Na 31
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca < 1
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 < 1
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 2
Chloride, Cl 4
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 66
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 54
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Head over here and check out this water profile tool. You can input your water into the spreadsheet and then use the preset beer types to make ideal water. It will tell you what to add and when to add it. It has classic water profiles for cities around the world as well as generic style presets.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

It looks like your water is fairly plain, so you can build up to most profiles using this spreadsheet.

The numbers suggest, but do not prove, that this is fairly soft water that has been run through a water softener. It wouldn't make much sense to do that since the source water wouldn't be hard enough to justify the use of a softener. Of course I'm speculating. The sensible thing to do is ask: Is this from the output of a water softener? If it is then get the input water tested and plan your brews based on that. If it isn't then you will need to supplement calcium for most beers. You will also need to supplement chloride for most beers.

Before going any further please confirm as to whether this is softened water.

That water was not too hard to begin with, but I expect that the softener is being used because the water has either iron or manganese in it. Fortunately, the softened water does not have an excessive sodium level. It should be a good water for brewing, however the alkalinity will require some neutralization in many cases. Learn to use acid for alkalinity reduction.

mabrungard said:
That water was not too hard to begin with, but I expect that the softener is being used because the water has either iron or manganese in it. Fortunately, the softened water does not have an excessive sodium level. It should be a good water for brewing, however the alkalinity will require some neutralization in many cases. Learn to use acid for alkalinity reduction.

Your right, the water softener was installed because of iron. The sample was taken after softening.

I was looking at the water primer thread and was just thinking of following that since most of my numbers are in the soft water catagory. Maybe 1 tsp calcium chloride and 1 tsp gypsum per 5 gal for an IPA and skip the gypsum for light beers and Lagers?

Currently I'm getting 75-85% efficiency so maybe my PH is ok but I think I may look into it further

Stupid me! You said you used a softener and I missed that.

Using the techniques of the primer will definitely get you going. Cutting 1:1 or 2:1 with RO (pre or post) will definitely cut the alkalinity down and the sodium (post) or iron (pre).

Stupid me! You said you used a softener and I missed that.

Using the techniques of the primer will definitely get you going. Cutting 1:1 or 2:1 with RO (pre or post) will definitely cut the alkalinity down and the sodium (post) or iron (pre).

Do you think my sodium is too high?

No, not really. The only worrisome things in your post softener water are 0 calcium, low chloride and the alkalinity. The alkalinity is hardly much of a worry and you should be able to brew many beers with a minor acid (sauermalz, lactic acid, dark grains...) addition. People usually look for low sodium and alkalinity and I was just pointing out that dilution with RO will get you that. If you have RO installed with a pressure tank so you can draw it easily into your HLT it is very convenient. If you have to drive 20 miles to get some RO water it isn't.

Back