HELP! Do I need a blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
in my 6gal brew bucket i did a 5 gal batch of belgian dark strong.

pitched a 1 quart starter from 2 wyeast smack packs of the belgian strong yeast 1388

8 hours later the S type airlock had a bunch of crud inside, so i took it off and rinsed it out, came back and foam was starting to ooze out of the hole where the rubber stopper jams into.

am i going to need an airlock? and can I use my siphon hose to jam into the rubber stopper my airlock goes into? If not I was thinking to flip the S airlock upside down, and have the bottom of the airlock stem coming out the top of the rubber stopper, attach my siphon hose to that and have the S airlock inside the brew bucket upside down.

5 gallon batch, but maybe went over 5 gallons by a a quart or so since i filled to my 5gal mark before adding my starter!

stick your racking tube in the hole, stick the other end in a gallon jug filled with sanitized water (san star + water). That will help deal with blow off if you have any more.

stick your racking tube in the hole, stick the other end in a gallon jug filled with sanitized water (san star + water). That will help deal with blow off if you have any more.

awesome, thats what I was thinking, didnt know if the racking tube was wide enough but Ill give it a shot

I pitched my starter at 76 degrees, i think this may be too high since its a belgian.. could this be why I have so much foam activity?

the closet its in is faily cool with temp in the low 60's so maybe it will settle down?

I'm making a Belgian right now and the wyeast I'm using has a max temp of 78 degrees. Belgians like warm fermentation. I do pitch on the low end and let the temp rise naturally over the course of a week or so.

As for blow off tubes...it's a good idea to have one set up for any beer with an OG of 1.045 or higher. After initial fermentation (4 days or so) you can replace with an airlock.

Latest posts

Back