Things a Homebrewer Thinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spend part of each year sailing....while we are out cruising I find myself frequently thinking about brewing and brew projects...cant wait to get back ashore to do them.

Like now...Im sitting on a boat in Panama surfing HBT...is that f*up?

Curtis2010 said:
I spend part of each year sailing....while we are out cruising I find myself frequently thinking about brewing and brew projects...cant wait to get back ashore to do them.

Like now...Im sitting on a boat in Panama surfing HBT...is that f*up?

I don't know, I am sitting on the toilet surfing HBT. In fact, this is where I do most of my thinking.

we're different mind sets. me: "Yay! Bottling DAY!" 14 years and who knows how many batches, but I still get excited to bottle.

Nope - not me. Back-breaking staying bent over filling bottles. A ton of clean up and no "yeast-pitching" excitement. Perhaps you have a better bottling system and you'd like to share how you do it? :mug:

Hmm... maybe I need to get a bench capper and a 5-year old. I know I can get one at my LHBS, not sure about the other though :D

Hmm... maybe I need to get a bench capper and a 5-year old. I know I can get one at my LHBS, not sure about the other though :D

I think you need to sit down with your parents and have the "Birds and the Bees" chat, son.

I almost spit coffee out my nose. hot Sumatra + nasal cavity= bad. funny, but bad.

Was just reading some HBT posts in another thread. And I thought, "you know, spending $40-$60 on each brew is crazy!". So I got online and went shopping for bulk.

$280 later and I got several batches on the way! Plus some other trinkets I'm not sure I need.

pb --- glad I had easy access to my savings account! ... I think. :confused:

Thunder_Chicken said:
"Hmmm...I need to bottle 10 gallons of beer tomorrow but don't have enough bottles. I'll have to run to the packy and call up some friends."

I just did a post on Facebook for bottles so I'm right there with you.

Nope - not me. Back-breaking staying bent over filling bottles. A ton of clean up and no "yeast-pitching" excitement. Perhaps you have a better bottling system and you'd like to share how you do it? :mug:

I and my ruptured discs put the sanitizer tub, bottling bucket, bottles, capper, etc on my kitchen counter or workbench, then I shift between sitting on a stool, in a chair or standing. Oh, and I anesthetize with homebrew. I used to siphon from the counter to the floor, then I discovered bottling buckets... lifesaver!

Well son, it's like this...you meet a nice girl and 'pitch your yeast'. After a 9 month primary ferment, followed by a 5-year secondary, you will have a 5 year old.

How do blow-off tubes and bottle-bombs fit into this scenario?

Well heck, I still have 10 gallons needing bottling and I still don't have bottles, but what did I do today? I went to the LHBS and got ingredients for my next 5 gallon batch. How's that for faith? I know I will need to have beer ready to fill bottles that I don't have yet.

Now about them bottles...

"Liquid yeast is too expensive -

I'll buy a stir plate, a bunch of erlenweyers, vials, plates, use a paperclip to save money, haemocytometer, alcohol lamp, etc. etc. etc.

Now all I have to do is buy one of each liquid yeast to start saving money!"

"Liquid yeast is too expensive -

I'll buy a stir plate, a bunch of erlenweyers, vials, plates, use a paperclip to save money, haemocytometer, alcohol lamp, etc. etc. etc.

Now all I have to do is buy one of each liquid yeast to start saving money!"

You forgot the extra freezer to store them all.

If I order grains now, they will arrive the day after I bottle batch x and I can brew my next batch immediately.

Benefits of a kegerator...
My head says that as long as I don't empty this glass, I have only had one glass.

My feet say, "wait walk, no, not going to work, I don't care how much you want to refill that not quite empty glass":drunk:

Lolz bboy...I thought I was the only one that did that?;) I did one just now,kinda. I brewed the NZ IPA last Sunday,& was gunna call it Aussie IPA. Then I thought,hey,wait a tick...they aren't part of Australia...let's see if I can really mess this up with an obscure reference for a name. Funny how we do double takes. I then found out that New Zealand was originally populated by the Maori people. New name...Maori IPA...let's see how many get the obscure reference...:drunk:

unionrdr said:
Lolz bboy...I thought I was the only one that did that?;) I did one just now,kinda. I brewed the NZ IPA last Sunday,& was gunna call it Aussie IPA. Then I thought,hey,wait a tick...they aren't part of Australia...let's see if I can really mess this up with an obscure reference for a name. Funny how we do double takes. I then found out that New Zealand was originally populated by the Maori people. New name...Maori IPA...let's see how many get the obscure reference...:drunk:

Should have gone with an even more obscure name... Lol. Perhaps HAKA IPA, or Tika To IPA. Could have gone real deep and called it North Island IPA, South Island IPA, Waiheke IPA or any one of the various islands of NZ.

Yeah,but I thought it'd be cool to remember the original inhabitants on this one. Seemed a bit more obscure than the island's names,which could be found on a map.

unionrdr said:
Yeah,but I thought it'd be cool to remember the original inhabitants on this one. Seemed a bit more obscure than the island's names,which could be found on a map.

You have chosen wisely!

"I don't mind bottling beer at all, especially when I get to present a friend with something like this"

934680_10200435535865256_609175015_n.jpg

Thanks to Bottlemark dot com for the printed caps!

"I don't mind bottling beer at all, especially when I get to present a friend with something like this"

934680_10200435535865256_609175015_n.jpg

Thanks to Bottlemark dot com for the printed caps!

I get all my caps from them. They're great... although way backed up lately. I spoke with one of the guys there about some of their future plans. It seems they will be doing a major upgrade to their printing system allowing printing on different color as well as O2 absorbing caps.

That is good to know, waiting on payday to buy some caps from them.

A lot of people in my office have ivy growing in their cube. I wonder if I could get some hop bines going ...

Sounds like a plan. And it would cover over the smell of that IPA you accidentally spilled on yourself during your lunch "meeting"

Latest posts

Back