4 weeks no carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diblin

Reaction score
I recently brewed an India pale ale. Primary for 2 weeks, dry hopped in secondary for 1. It tastes good already. Added boiled priming sugar, stirred in, and bottled. It's a medium gravity beer at 5.3abv finished at 1.010. Been in "tightly" capped bottles for 4 weeks at 72 degrees. Problem is that there is no cabonation. Is it cool to add a small amount of us05 to each bottle (say five or 6 small grains)? Absolutely any Advice is highly appreciated. Thanks

Hmmm.. What size batch? Did you let priming/boiled water cool first or just dump right in?

From what I've seen the experienced brewers say, start another batch, wait another month, and try another.

I let it cool about 10 minutes in my bottling bucket then went about racking and bottling

Unless your beer never fermented at all (which obviously isn't the case), just give it more time. I recently had an IPA stay flat for about the same amount of time, and now they're fine.

Also, your sugar could not have fully mixed in. Try another one. You could have some overcarbed ones on top of your undercarbed ones.

Don't freak out. Like hehawbrew said, just make another batch and relax.

Did you put the bottle you tested at fridge temps for about 48 hours?

At room temp, most of the CO2 doesn't absorb into the beer, and just occupies the head space of the bottle. 48 hours at fridge temps allows the CO2 in the headspace to dissolve into the beer.

Like everyone else was saying, as long as your beer fermented, there are still MILLIONS of yeast cells in each bottle, plenty to carbonate the beer if you added the proper amount of priming sugar.

Agreed. No point in adding new yeast, there is plenty in suspension. 4 weeks and totally flat makes me think you didn't get a good mix of the sugar... but it could just be that this beer is slow to carb. Give it another couple weeks and try again.

are you sure it was priming sugar?

Once you have your beer in the bottling bucket, rotate the bucket on the counter to get the column of beer moving to mix all the priming sugar evenly.

those packets of white powder can start looking the same...

735085_10200244739295461_1320226214_n.jpg

Im fairly certain it's corn sugar Unless northern brewer sent maltose in the kit instead

Latest posts

Back