What would you call this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
The following recipe has evolved over time but this is pretty much what I've settled on. At first I just called it my "House Pale Ale" or "English Pale Ale" but it's probably more of an ESB the more I look at it.....anyway, I really like it and it provides a nice balance to have on tap next to my usual IPA's, APA's, porters, rye's, etc.

5# MO
5# pale 2-row
.75 # Victory
.75# Special Roast
.5# C-80

Northern Brewer at 60
Fuggles at 15 & 10

Would you call it an ESB?

Yeah sure, I'd say something along those lines but it really doesn't matter so long as it's good. What yeast do you like using best?

Yea, probably. Lot of character malt in there- what's it like?

Well, it is malty :cross: It's the type of malt flavor I really like - true maltiness, not sweetness. "Character" malt like you said is a good description, definitely more a of a bready/sourdough maybe....

The beer started off as an attempt to clone Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale, so if you've ever tried that it would give you an idea. But I've tweeked it a little more here and there, you know how recipes evolve....some times I add flaked barley to thicken it up a bit. I think the Special Roast is the key, such a unique flavor...if I change anything going forward, I might up that a bit and back down the Victory by the same amount

Yeah sure, I'd say something along those lines but it really doesn't matter so long as it's good. What yeast do you like using best?

I've always just used Notty for simplicity....but just this year I finally made a stirplate and now I've started saving yeast and building up a "bank", building starters, etc. WY-1728 (Scotch ale) has become my house strain so far and will probably be used next. Tho I do want to try some "English" strains on it....might split a batch and use both 1728 & 1968 next time

Latest posts

Back