Have yeast, need recipes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woknblues

Reaction score
Hi,

Mostly I brew with a style in mind, and chose the yeast to match. I went to my LHBS and got several discounted old(er) yeasts that I would like to try, and now I am trying to find the style and recipe to math the yeast!

A few declarations.

I will always make a starter, the bigger the better usually (I like to harvest some for later, so I generally step several times until I can pull off enough to get another going some other time)

American Farmhouse
Belgium Strong 545
Abbey Ale 530
Saison 565

I see *most* the saison recipes use 3711 for example... I am interested in any recipes that you have used these yeasts for, and perhaps recommends on tips you have run into. When I search the recipe section, I tend to come up a bit short on these strains.

Cheers!

I'm going to join here. Few questions, are you all grain, partial, or extract only? For the saisons I like to keep to the light side, fruity hops, and hold back on the bitter. Stress the yeast for the saison so you get more flavors from it. On the farmhouse, I like the citrus hops and again light to amber. Go a little heavy on the farmhouse and feel free to toss in some adjuncts to spice it up.

Take the 565 and make a belgian IPA. The 530 makes a good blonde, and 545 would make a great BGSA or BDSA.

For American Farmhouse- make an american farmhouse. Done and done.

I'm going to join here. Few questions, are you all grain, partial, or extract only? For the saisons I like to keep to the light side, fruity hops, and hold back on the bitter. Stress the yeast for the saison so you get more flavors from it. On the farmhouse, I like the citrus hops and again light to amber. Go a little heavy on the farmhouse and feel free to toss in some adjuncts to spice it up.

I all grain, BIAB. Do you have any specific recipes that have worked well for you? I am pretty unexposed to these styles of beer and no real point of reference.

Take the 565 and make a belgian IPA. The 530 makes a good blonde, and 545 would make a great BGSA or BDSA.

For American Farmhouse- make an american farmhouse. Done and done.

I get ya, just wondering if you had some specific recipes that worked out well for you. Of course, there are plenty of them in the recipe section, but actually, these particular strains are not overly popular in terms of posted recipes here.

Ah- gotcha. The only one off the top of my head is the BDSA- go make this now. I know it looks complicated, but it's worth it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/double-drunk-monk-belgian-dark-181950/

One of my favorites.

For the Belgian IPA:

12lbs Pilsner malt
8oz biscuit malt
8oz carapils

bitter to 60 IBU
1oz US Northern Brewer 20m
1oz Cascade 10m
1oz Chinook 0m

Dry hop 1oz Cascade, 1oz chinook
Mash 153F for 60m