Conical Immersion Chiller/ chiller reservoir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought a more beer conical, and really liked the idea that the brewhemoth people had using an immersion coil to control temps. I had Zach at Stainless brewing fabricate me a 3" coil and a 3" TC cap to fit on the conical.
IMG_2313.jpg

I decided to see how cold a 1/10hp aquarium chiller could get 9 gallons of water in my old 40qt mash tun cooler, and It was easily able to chill it down to 36ºF. so Im using this as a cold water reservoir, and using a ranco controler to pump the chilled water through the coil in the conical to maintain fermentation temps.

so far its working like a champ, the beer I brewed Sunday went in to the conical at 90ºF, and was down to 70ºF in 4hrs running a 50º cold water through the coil. Now It is maintaining 66º, and the fermentation is really starting to take off, but it does not seem to be an issue.

All and all I think I am really happy with this set up, I think after this test batch, Im going to clean up the hosing and add insulation to the supply lines.

IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2400.jpg

Thanks Derek,

Im quite impressed how well this is maintaining the temp, the room it is in is ~72-78ºF, and it is maintaining the temp with out running too much. I'd like to hook this up to my BCS460 to get a data log to know for sure, but I have only gone into the room once and found the coolant pump running, and it was only running for a few minutes. Ideally I'd like to get a couple more conicals and daisy chain them together. Should be interesting to see too if I can maintain cold crashing temps, and lagering temps.

Back