Dropped bottle tree, bottle problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers!

So I had my first homebrewing accident so to speak. I dropped my bottle tree when it was holding about 45 or so bottles. Miraculously, only two bottles broke (and one of the bottles that broke only had a damaged opening).

I cleaned it up and it wasn't a big deal, but now I'm worried that some of the bottles that survived the fall may have microcracks in them that may not be a problem until I put a carbonated beverage in them.

Is my worrying justified? Has anyone had bottle bombs happen from using bottles that they dropped but thought were ok?

IMG_1199.jpg

That could be a small concern. But I don't think they'd be microscopic. Not like a crankshaft or something where yo magnaflux it to find'em. Once I get my bottle tree where I want it,it doesn't move again. Save for turning it around.

Ive been reusing bottles for a while with no problem.
If something like this happend though, i would be inclined to toss them in the recylcing bin.
Just my .02

You can also bring them to a distributor and exchange them for "newer" bottles.

EDIT: i also love these posts where you guys go "....OH $hittt!!!.....this is going to suck cleaning all this bro...lemme get the camera first to show my fellow HBTers!!"

Ive been reusing bottles for a while with no problem.
If something like this happend though, i would be inclined to toss them in the recylcing bin.
Just my .02

You can also bring them to a distributor and exchange them for "newer" bottles.

EDIT: i also love these posts where you guys go "....OH $hittt!!!.....this is going to suck cleaning all this bro...lemme get the camera first to show my fellow HBTers!!"

Of course, commemorating the catastrophe is the best part. Well, it's at least more fun than cleaning up.

So I see, my fears about the cracks being a problem aren't totally unfounded. The cheapskate in me doesn't want to recycle them, but I guess it might be a good idea to err on the side of caution in this case.

Maybe I'll give each of the bottles a good inspection when I get home, and see if I can find any tiny cracks I didn't notice the first time.

Latest posts

Back