Polishing Keggles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timtastic

Reaction score
Hey all! I just called it a night on my new keggle project. I bought two 15.5 gallon kegs, two 6 gallon carboys, a grain mill, and a bench capper from a guy recently, and I'm converting one of the kegs into a brew pot! I've been kit brewing for almost a year now, and I'm planning on making 10 gallon batches, then going all-grain, then finally building a single-tier system. One step at a time I guess! The guy painted the kegs, or got them that way, I'm not sure. But I've been taking the paint off, and following a stainless steel polishing guide on HBT - slowly restoring the kegs to a mirror finish. To finish off the night, I enjoyed a delicious German Style Kolsh from Rasenmaher, brewed in Oklahoma City, OK. Here's my progress!

EDIT: Rasenmaher German Style Kolsh, from Huebert Brewing Co. in OKC, OK, which was obviously drank too fast haha

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4030.JPG

Major pain, but you can't beat the look :). Using gator grit pads?

I couldn't find the Gator Grit brand at HD, but I found a similar style pad that came in a pack of 2 coarse, 2 medium, and 2 fine pads. It's looking like I'm going to blow through the whole pack on one keg, switch to some ultra-fine sand paper to do the rest by hand, and then buff to a mirror finish with some polishing sticks and a cloth wheel. Can't wait to see myself (and my brew) in it! :D

If it's paint, why not coat it in paint stripper and let that do all the heavy work? Save you time, money and muscle. Once all the paint blisters up, just wipe and hit the hard spots with the sandpaper and polish.

With as much work as this is I was thinking of making a machine that rolls the keg against a polishing wheel. just set it on there and let it do it's thing. come back the next day and it's all shiny...How much work do you have into the one keg?

If it's paint, why not coat it in paint stripper and let that do all the heavy work? Save you time, money and muscle. Once all the paint blisters up, just wipe and hit the hard spots with the sandpaper and polish.

Ah! I'll do that on the second one, thanks!

With as much work as this is I was thinking of making a machine that rolls the keg against a polishing wheel. just set it on there and let it do it's thing. come back the next day and it's all shiny...How much work do you have into the one keg?

That might work, these were in pretty rough shape so I've been gradually going from coarse to fine Gator Pads. After I get all the nicks and scratches out, some machine to buff it could save a lot of time! I've spent about 7 hours over the past 2 days.

Back