Tipping cooler = zero dead space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I tip my cooler when I mash out ans Sparge does that mean I have zero dead space?

Does it drain out all the liquid? If so, I believe the answer would be yes. A good way to test it is to put 3-gallons of water in, drain it, and see how much you're missing.

If you have any sort of stub from the bulkhead, it will be impossible to get zero deadspace. No matter how you tip it, you'll have some liquid that is still below that stub. You can minimize that amount, but something will still be left. The only way you could get zero is if the bulkhead was flush or reset into the tun.

So I shouldn't be tipping the cooler just add more Sparge water or water to the mash.

benzy4010 said:
So I shouldn't be tipping the cooler just add more Sparge water or water to the mash.

Go ahead and tip it at the end: that way you lower the dead space but don't have any channeling problems.

When you do that though, you might get liquid channeling - meaning not running through the grain bed. This might knock down your edficiency

this is a concern if you settle the grain bed then tip it. if you tip it 1st and let it settle that way you are fine.

When you have a false bottom the deadspace is the void beneath the false bottom. You adjust your mash water to compensate for that or your mash will be thicker than you calculate (that portion does not get mixed with the grist). I use a bazooka filter so the only deadspace would be the water that fills a narrow screen tube--small enough there is no need to compensate. If you use a false bottom you should adjust for deadspace whether you tip or not--unless you want a thicker mash.

I always run it out then when it's a trickle I tilt it on mash out and spares. I mash, pour and tilt then fill the with Sparge water and stir then dump and tilt again

Back