How much vertical growth before a trellis is needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjs0187

Reaction score
These guys just recently started growing very quickly... much faster than I anticipated, and I haven't quite got a trellis up yet. I was wondering if I can let them go a little bit longer ( just until Sunday ) before I rig some kind of pre-trellis support.

The Colombus on the left is really starting to look for something to latch on to :p.

Sunday, 5-4
2zqsfow.jpg

Friday, 5-10

photo_8.jpg

A little more background, for those who are interested. The plant on the left is Colombus and the plant on the right is Cascade. I have these started from rhizomes in 20" pots with a 50/50 mix of miracle grow potting and mushroom compost. These are growing in DFW area Texas... gonna see if they can handle the summer heat down here.

They will eventually fall over under their own weight, say 12" to 16" depending on variety. Then your concern is moisture contact with top soil on the base of the bine, you can develop a contact rot issue. Like a sore on the bine. You can always train them up something like a driveway marker or stick for that matter. They make the transfer flawlessly. FEF

Latest posts

Back