Belgian Saison Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtgordon

Reaction score
Hi

First post here... somewhat new to brewing... I have a few batches under my belt... learning as I go.

My 4th batch of beer is a belgian saison (brewer's best kit)

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1039 2013 Belgian Saison Recipe.pdf

and I have a question. I followed the instructions with the kit. It sat for one week in the primary at room temp (I kept it around 70), and it bubbled good. Sounded like it was finished... I transferred to 5 gal carboy and put in the freezer around 68 degrees and it bubbled a bit. I thought it was finished as it has been in there two weeks now. I went to pull it out to bottle, but it looked like it has been bubbling a little. I sat it on the counter and let it sit for an hour or so, but it is still bubbling a little. Is this anything I need to worry about or am I fairly safe to proceed with bottling? I know I could take gravity readings and compare, but I was hoping to bottle and cook a new batch tonight :)

Thanks,
Gordon

Do you have a hydrometer? Measuring the gravity of the wort is the only way to know if fermentation is complete.

Yes, I have a hydrometer. If i take a gravity reading right now, I'd have to wait a few days to compare, right? Or could I just compare to anticipated FG?

No, you'll have to wait. Bottling before terminal gravity is a bad idea. You'll get overcarbonated beer at best and exploding bottles at worst.

I think to be on the safe side, I'll just keep it at room temperature (crank it down a little to around 70) to finish out whatever is left in the wort and bottle next weekend. That will free up my spot in the freezer for my batch that I am going to brew tonight.

I think to be on the safe side, I'll just keep it at room temperature (crank it down a little to around 70) to finish out whatever is left in the wort and bottle next weekend. That will free up my spot in the freezer for my batch that I am going to brew tonight.

be certain & take readings. I did a split from the same wort with 2 different Saison yeasts. one ended @ 1.013 and the other @ 1.004. better safe than sorry is the ONLY idea when dealing with glass under pressure.

take the gravity reading.

do you know what kind of yeast it was? The Wyeast belgian saison has unusually high temperature range that it needs to finish. raising the temperature should help the yeast be more active, but you might not want that depending on the strain.

I am guessing the kit was belgian saison flavor... not using saison yeast. I have read the same thing. I would think that if it was saison yeast, the instructions would have called for higher fermentation temps. I have been following the directions per the recipe. I posted a link to the recipe above.

Back