50amp GFI keeps tripping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkdaddydowd

Reaction score
I just bought a BIAB Electric set up from High Gravity Brewing
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-306p3987.htm

I have installed a new 30amp breaker at my main panel, which feeds a spa 50amp GFCI disconnect. Off of the GFCI is a 4 pin receptacle that feeds the controller with a PID and a pump controller.

To test out my set up I went to turn on the PID without the heating element plugged in as soon as I do the GFCI trips.

I have tried to trouble shoot this and I can't figure it out. I wired the controller straight in to the 30amp breaker (bypassing the GFCI) and it works just fine. I had a friend help me with this who is an electrician and he is stumped as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure exactly how you're wired up but here's a general question. Does the GFI breaker monitor ALL current carrying conductors? 240v circuit: both hots. 120v circuit: hot AND neutral

Is the white wire from the GFCI breaker attached to the neutral bus? I know it's an obvious thing to check, but I feel it needs to be asked. Other than that, there must be a place where there is either a short to ground. With the main (30A) panel breaker OFF, use a multimeter to determine if there's a short to ground via a possible error in wiring. That's all I can think of at the moment. Also, with out actually being there to see the install and inspect the wiring, it's kind of hard to make other suggestions. Others may have better luck than I.

Is your neutral and ground hooked together anywhere except for your primary breaker panel?

Redundant grounds are bad and cause gfci's not to work so well.

Have you contacted the manufacturer of that control box? It might be a known issue.

Some switching power supplies are know to trip GFCI breakers as well. I wonder what is in that control box.

Gfci is not normally used for electronic controls because of "Leakage"
I do not know what you are running off of this. but..... That may be the issue.

If a properly-functioning spa panel is wired correctly, and you brought H-H-N-G out of it, it should work. If you only have H-H-G, that controller will not work with a GFCI. From the product page on the controller:

"Requires 220V 30A service. Includes a 6 ft power cord with either a 3-wire plug (NEMA 10-30P) or a 4-wire plug (NEMA 14-30P). GFCI type breaker cannot be used with the 3-wire installation. GFCI must use 4-wire installation with separate neutral and ground."

I have the same thing and similar problem except for my PID/Thermostat comes on but whenever plug in the pump and flip the pump switch, it trips the spa panel GFCI.

I have the same thing and similar problem except for my PID/Thermostat comes on but whenever plug in the pump and flip the pump switch, it trips the spa panel GFCI.
I would suggest you start by answering the questions posed earlier in this thread.

Back