Help with Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am thinking of putting together a Wheat beer for my wife. We were in Atlanta airport recently and she found a beer at Sweetwater brewing company that was a blueberry wheat (at least I think it was a wheat... dont fully remember...). Ultimately I want to get something like it, not a clone, just an interesting wheat beer, with blueberry... oh and orange, because my wife wanted it. This is what I'm thinking:

5.25 gallon BIAB

5# White Wheat
4# 2-row (us)

Mash
130F - 20 min
150F - 45 min
168F - 10 min

1oz of either cascade or citra at 60min (not sure which, I like both...)
0.75oz sweet orange peel 5min

Then onto the yeast. This is where I'm having the most debate. I could either pick up some wheat yeast, or go with some Denny's Fav 50 that I have washed in the fridge. I'm leaning towards the latter because I'm cheap, but I was wondering if there is any major reason not to use the yeast I have instead of a wheat yeast.

Finally Frozen, then thawed, crushed blueberries in secondary (3lbs).

Any comments or suggestions are fully welcome and apprecaited!

Wyeast 1010 worked out nice in a small all grain recipe i did recently. I threw about 10% honey malt into the mash. Came out good. One of the few my GF will actually drink.

I was thinking about coriander but then I saw :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/wheat-beer-nottingham-yeast-56493/

and it made me rethink the coriander with the blueberries. Thanks for the input on the 1010, I'll look into that one. I was still kinda wondering if anyone has used 1450 in a wheat and how it turned out or if there's any reason not to use it.

Brood, I do like the idea of honey malt, I think I'll add the extra 1# and see what it does.

Back