question about sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
How long after sanitized and cooled must the bottles be filled by? How long are the bottles still considered sanitized?

My bottles are somewhat warm to the touch when I fill them. I wouldn't think you'd want to wait any length of time...the sooner, the better. Beyond that, I wouldn't want to speculate.

glenn514:mug:

I usually leave mine in the dishwasher for a couple hours to cool down before bottling, but i left a batch in there overnight before and everything turned out fine but I never opened the the dishwasher until it was bottling time.

It's like how long can you go before pitching yeast into your wort. It just depends how much chance you want to take of an infection. The longer, the greater the chance.

It's like how long can you go before pitching yeast into your wort. It just depends how much chance you want to take of an infection. The longer, the greater the chance.

Not really, if the bottles are sanitized leaving them upside down in a clean dishwasher or covered with foil will leave them sanitized indefinitely. Bacteria can't crawl or spontaneously form, it move around on fingers and surfaces and dust particles. It should be fine to leave the bottles in there as long as you need to.

Wort is different because unless you're no-chilling properly or being very thorough about protecting your wort from dust particles you likely have a tiny bit of bacteria/wild yeast in there and it's good to pitch your huge population of brewer's yeast to overwhelm the possible contaminants before they get a foothold.

Well i wound up leaving the bottles in the dishwasher for only a couple of hours... the sanitation problem i ran into though had nothing to do with bottles.... i made up my priming solution sanitized my bottle bucket, racking cane, transfer tube, etc... dumped my priming solution and started racking my finished beer.. about 5 minutes and 1-2 gallons into the transfer and i start to see the towel i have the bucket on getting damp and don't know why. So i tilt the bucket up and look at the spigot, it seems to be loose which is strange. I try to tighten a little but it seems to be moving around way too much... i then realize that the spigot has broken... luckily i had a spare i sanitized the spare and washers then replaced it. Unfortunately i had beer and priming solution in the bucket at the time and didn't dump... i spot sprayed my sanitizer solution over any spots i touched and hopefully did not contaminate my bsga to a point where the alcohol in it won't kill any bad things.

Back