Starting a small hop farm!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Were planted on prob roughly 1.75 acres right now. Local breweries that ive talked to said they would def buy (as long as quality is there) of course. And then of course hoping to sell to homebrewers etc. all that good stuff

dcarroll86 said:
Were planted on prob roughly 1.75 acres right now. Local breweries that ive talked to said they would def buy (as long as quality is there) of course. And then of course hoping to sell to homebrewers etc. all that good stuff

That's awesome... Best of luck!! Always wished I had some extra land to grow some....

Guess a little update for the new year. Poles are in. Top trellis is abut done. Waiting on the bale of coir to show up to start stringjng and training. Facebook page is also listed below. U can see all the poles debarked and tar applied. And then too trellis getting done.

image-2755118394.jpg

image-1629069421.jpg

image-1008953311.jpg

image-3414548402.jpg

image-1636681871.jpg

image-1557971529.jpg

Wow must not like the guy on top of that ladder :) Setup looks good, but what i really want to know is the specs on that tractor. Looking to get a small one myself.

Yeah, I don't envy the guy on the ladder. We will be using a hay wagon with boards across the top to work on the tops of the poles.

For the end posts that you angled, will you be tying them down to an anchor, and if so what angle are you putting the anchor at compared to the top of the angled pole?

Once you are all set up this season we want to come down and check our your place.

PariahVineyard said:
Yeah, I don't envy the guy on the ladder. We will be using a hay wagon with boards across the top to work on the tops of the poles.

For the end posts that you angled, will you be tying them down to an anchor, and if so what angle are you putting the anchor at compared to the top of the angled pole?

Once you are all set up this season we want to come down and check our your place.

Of course its me on the top of the ladder. Thats a 10' ladder with the forks all the way up which is only 9' or so. Its a kubota 33hp diesel of course. Fromt forks can lift in the 2-2500 lb range. We used of course the rear pto for a phd. I think it has done everything weve needed it todo.

As far as angle goes. Couldnt give u exact numbers. But basically if u made a right triangle from the top. Then out mayb 2-3' is how i set the anchors.

Too cool! I just moved to Frederick, myself... I'd love to swing by some time, take a look!

I'll be getting 4 varieties in the ground shortly, for personal use: Magnum, Cascade, Willamette, and Sterling.

I'll be following this, just to see how things go! :mug:

--Misha

HALIFAXHOPS said:
I love the bulk liquid storage containers, so many uses! Looks great!

Gotta love them. They have actually came in pretty handy for random chores. Not only for watering now!!! Not too many pictures to show right now. But here a few.

Below is the best i could do with a phone looking down the twine.

image-384611694.jpg

Unloading some nice mixed compost for our 400 pots for this year.

image-1650991441.jpg

Just a few more pictures. These are some of our potted plants. Our marker for the well drillers! Permits done. Drilling should be taking place within the next couple of weeks! And just a picture of one of our first year brewers gold. These were jumbo rhizomes. And they have just taken off. Of course we have many more pictures posted on out facebook page. Check it out. Like us if u want to!!

Thanks

image-4268270273.jpg

image-2096702664.jpg

image-835215109.jpg

basementbrewbrad said:
how many plants do you have total right now?

With the 400 potted plants we have in the 1200 range. We had planted 1800 last year and due to not being properly setup it really hurt us. We lost alot of them bc of lack of waterings during the hottest months of the year. Now we have learned that infrastructure is very important. Thats why when we did our trellis system we made it the way we did. And have trellis up for right around 1000 hills more of expansion that will most likely take place next year or the following year. Really depends on the growing pains of having what we do have now as far as harvest and overall processing.

Let me know if you are around this weekend, or memorial day?

Hell . . . you're close enough I could even come down after work sometime.:mug:

With the 400 potted plants we have in the 1200 range. We had planted 1800 last year and due to not being properly setup it really hurt us. We lost alot of them bc of lack of waterings during the hottest months of the year. Now we have learned that infrastructure is very important. Thats why when we did our trellis system we made it the way we did. And have trellis up for right around 1000 hills more of expansion that will most likely take place next year or the following year. Really depends on the growing pains of having what we do have now as far as harvest and overall processing.
That's a hard lesson to learn but you only have to learn it once, eh? We didn't lose any but spent a lot of time hauling water until the well was dug on our first field.

GVH_Dan said:
That's a hard lesson to learn but you only have to learn it once, eh? We didn't lose any but spent a lot of time hauling water until the well was dug on our first field.

Yea that was how we did it the first year but of course sometimes went to long between waterings. Very fortunate that the well is in the works so they will be good from now on. Also beside knowing we were going to be replacing a decent chunk that didnt come up this is partial reason for pots. Much more controlled environment for the plants and for our watering purposes til the well was drilled.

And derrick. I know what you mean. We are close enough. If only i wasnt working from 8pm-8am 5 days a week id say come on down after work. Or i could drive on up to check ur place out.

Looks great! I imagine you've got the replacement plants in holes by now? Hows the well coming?

Sounds like the drought was the major problem last year. Did you notice any disease or bug problems? Did the stink bugs cause problems? How about the deer or other animal pests?

Checked out your fb page, looks cool. My family owns a farm and we planted a few rhizomes last year. Now we have 100 cascades planted and would like to continue to expand and actually sell them. How did you or you plan on getting started selling them. Just asking local breweries? Just seems like a hard thing to plan for knowing you really wont get a full yield for 3 years. Would they set something up with you that far in advance. Just curious if you have any advise since we would like to plant 500-1000 more next year if we would have a market. :ban: We have old telephone poles and it is so exciting to see our original plants up to the top of 18ft and then some this year!

itinerantbrewer said:
Looks great! I imagine you've got the replacement plants in holes by now? Hows the well coming?

Sounds like the drought was the major problem last year. Did you notice any disease or bug problems? Did the stink bugs cause problems? How about the deer or other animal pests?

Drought def took its tol on everythig. Not to mention the majority of our planting happen on july 4th. Not june, not may, not april but july. So im kinda happy with what came up bc of how late we were. Since last year we have done way more research and everythin is coming along alot better. The well is a big disappointment. The drillers that have all the permits. Their driller broke now 3 weeks ago and had to have it shipped down to NC to get fixed. But on a good note possibly might have come across grant money to now pay for the well and all new drip irrigation. Since we already have most of the componets we will be focusing on the automated watering. To make life even that much easier. With drought we didnt really have much chance for mildews or anything like that and havent seen any this year. Also havent het seen aphids or other such creatures to fight with. Weve been kinda lucky in that aspect. Deer and other animals have yet to be a peoblem as well. Hopefully more pictures coming soon to here and the fb page.

savidgebrothers said:
Checked out your fb page, looks cool. My family owns a farm and we planted a few rhizomes last year. Now we have 100 cascades planted and would like to continue to expand and actually sell them. How did you or you plan on getting started selling them. Just asking local breweries? Just seems like a hard thing to plan for knowing you really wont get a full yield for 3 years. Would they set something up with you that far in advance. Just curious if you have any advise since we would like to plant 500-1000 more next year if we would have a market. :ban: We have old telephone poles and it is so exciting to see our original plants up to the top of 18ft and then some this year!

Selling....... Well have talked to a few local breweries. Some large (flying dog). And some smaller (brewpubs and such). Most are on board for buying them. Quality is the big thing. If u dont plan on having that u wont be able to sell them

Advise for 500-1000 plants..... No matter how much u may think ur ready ur prob not. But all u can do is try ur best. Wont know unless u try. More updates to come

Selling.... Quality is the big thing. If u dont plan on having that u wont be able to sell them

Amen to that. "Local" will get your foot in the door but if you hand them a pile of crap in ziploc bags, you just ruined it for yourself and the next three people walking through the door.

You first year, you'll have so little that you are best giving it away. If you can, get it pelletized or at least in what ever form you plan to sell. Make sure they are properly vacuum packed with a gas flush in a UV proof bag. Get them tested so you can show at least alpha and oil levels. Then try to get a few ounces in their hand so they can open, rub them, sniff them and then look at the lab results. Expect to do the same the next year, too. By year three, you may have a few customers ready to buy and you'll have the supplies ready to go.

Would they set something up with you that far in advance. Just curious if you have any advise since we would like to plant 500-1000 more next year if we would have a market. :ban: We have old telephone poles and it is so exciting to see our original plants up to the top of 18ft and then some this year!

1000 plants is almost an acre. Our growers put three different varieties on their first acre so the harvest will be staggered. If you are trying to pick a full acre by hand, you'll never get it done in time.

zrule said:

Well update on grants. We r about 2 weeks out from knowing if our entire irrigation will be paid for by the government or not. Fingers crossed that it will work out. Other than. Pictures coming this weekend.

image-1415752838.jpg

image-2955543008.jpg

A few pics from our pilot farm. Looking like its going to b a good harvest off these plants.

Sorry no real updates from the big farm at this point. Just been busy keeping up w everything. Got a tri-axle load of compost mix soil

image-428182081.jpg

So we started redrilling for some plants
Below is after drilling

image-2578527269.jpg

This is after the top soil/compost mix was added and mixed in
image-1422932312.jpg

Getting ready to plant

image-4135056347.jpg

Another look
image-1422932312.jpg

image-2331842854.jpg

image-881990555.jpg

And this is that row done. 120 in that row
image-455729833.jpg

Doin some counts. With the 400 we potted this year. We are officially at 397 have become healthy plants. Not too shabby. I was pretty happy woth overall results of that. Amd since no harvest is really thought about on the 400 were hopkng the roots can fully establish themselves in the new soil amd take off. As far as the rest of the field goes. They arent really taking off like i would hope. Still fighting the drip irrigation stuff. But we do have plants arohnd the 12-13' mark on the trellis. Thats it for now!! Thanks

Attachments

• image-4233338747.jpg
    image-4233338747.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 611
Sounds like a cool idea, looks amazing. I grew up in MD, I miss that wonderful state an it's orange rocky soil, amazing for tomatoes and from what I've been reading lately hops too. Good luck!

I was also curious as to how you plan on harvesting, drying and packaging your hops.

herc1354 said:
I was also curious as to how you plan on harvesting, drying and packaging your hops.

Harvest will either be by hand, But if i feel when that time comes its going to take too much time i will be using a local harvester that i have access to. Also i have an oast ready so that part no big deal. We will be vacuum sealing bags. Working on get the different bags for them as well. As of now they will be normal food saver bags which will work perfect. I will keep everyone posted on when i get closer to the harvest time! And as always anyone and everyone feel free to check out te facebook page to see more updated pictures.

Well, on the plus side, I think you'll have one of the best vistas available to a hand hop harvester!

Still no pest (mildew, bug, animal) problems, I take it?

Do you expect to harvest and package all your varieties or are some not as well established yet?

Do you find the cones all tending to be rippening at the same rate (per variety)? That is, do you think you'll have an ideal harvest date or do you think you'll have to just pick a date (for each variety) when some are over-ripe and some under-ripe?

Think you'll have any for local sale/pick-up this season?

itinerantbrewer said:
Well, on the plus side, I think you'll have one of the best vistas available to a hand hop harvester!

Still no pest (mildew, bug, animal) problems, I take it?

Do you expect to harvest and package all your varieties or are some not as well established yet?

Do you find the cones all tending to be rippening at the same rate (per variety)? That is, do you think you'll have an ideal harvest date or do you think you'll have to just pick a date (for each variety) when some are over-ripe and some under-ripe?

Think you'll have any for local sale/pick-up this season?

Ill pm on the last question as i cannot discuss that. Looks like harvest will be in a week or so. Peob goinng to use our basket to just go up and pick in the air. An leave bines up. Actually had 2 cases of bag worms. But we cut that part of the plant off and it didnt do any real damage. Def no mildews at all. Where were located is inbetween two mountains. Which oddly enough makes us have our own ecosystem. Very rare rain and decent winds alll the time. Keeps up top dry and we our almost weed free around each crown which helps too.

Harvest is going to be this sunday for most of the cascades. Have some plants still going up and just starting to burr tho so have a later harvest also

image-4061065354.jpg

image-304166806.jpg

Latest posts

Back