apple amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
At the request of SWMBO, I've been instructed to brew up something with some apple cinnamon pear flavor. I told her it might be better as a hard cider but she wants a beer.
So the only thing I could think of was maybe a caramel apple type amber ale or something.
In the past I've taken bourbon and infused them with apples and cinnamon before. I was thinking about doing that and using some oak chips for an Apple cinnamon bourbon stout, but she wants what she wants and as they say, must be obeyed.

Any thoughts?

Ambers are generally defined by the malt character, which may overpower your intended fruit and spice flavors.

Those fruits and spices are screaming Kolsch to me.

You always get more complexity from whole fruit, but it's definitely a little more difficult to work with.

I do a apple saison with cubed granny smith apples (about 4 lbs in secondary) in a straight pilsner saison. The apple doesn't even show up in the beer for a good 6-8 weeks, then it gets more pronounced and complex the longer I condition it.

I assume a Kolsch would react in a similar way, but wouldn't be competing with the flavors from a Saison yeast.

Im not sure I've had a kolsch before. I think I'll try a basic kolsch recipe first and judge how much fruit flavor I want.
Something like 90/10 pils/wheat malt and a 60 min hop boil for around 20 ibus with WPL029 kolsch yeast?

It's all sounding good to me, just got me thinking of doing a kiwi fruit kolsh or Saison for next summer!

Just one note for kolsh - in my experience the yeast tastes horrible! So filtering or really long cold conditioning to drop it all out.

I think I somewhere to use s-04 or us05, something neutral, as priming yeast if you bottle condition/carbonate. Can't find where I read that anymore though so I can't say for sure.

Just something to consider. I hope your brew goes well!!!

Back