Advice on IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callacave

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First off, love this forum. Learned so much in such a short time. So many helpful people on here.

Just looking for opinions on this recipe. Would like a citrusy/fruity hop profile, and this will be the first time I'm using Golden Naked Oats as well as Mosaic.

My first two IPAs were earthy/dank. which were great, but I'm looking towards the other end of the spectrum for this one.

6 lbs. 2 Row
5 lbs. Pale Ale
1.5 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
.5 lbs. Victory

1 oz. FWH Centennial

1oz. Amarillo 15 min
1oz. Galaxy 10 min
1oz. Mosaic 5 min

.5 oz each Amarillo, Galaxy, Mosaic / Flameout

Dry Hop (7 days)
1 oz. each Amarillo, Mosaic
.5 oz. Galaxy

Dry Hop (in keg)
1 oz, each Amarillo, Mosaic
.5 oz. Centennial

Would like a citrusy/fruity hop profile, and this will be the first time I'm using Golden Naked Oats as well as Mosaic.

My first two IPAs were earthy/dank. which were great, but I'm looking towards the other end of the spectrum for this one.

For fruity, citrusy, smooth, here you go:

(88%) 11 lbs. 2 Row Pale
(6%) 0.75 lb. Sugar
(4%) 0.50 lb. Golden Naked Oats
(2%) 0.25 lb. Victory

Bitter with 40-50 IBUs from Warrior or Columbus... (or Centennial if that's your only higher alpha hop)

2 oz. Centennial @ 15 min

1.5 oz. each Amarillo and Mosaic @ hopstand

1 oz. each Amarillo, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Centennial @ dryhop

That looks really good Bobbrews. I'm going to give this a shot when my other IPA kicks.

Just curious about the sugar addition. Is it just to dry out the beer slightly?

Thanks again!

Yes. Though if your OG is lower than 1.063-ish AND you mash between 146-149 F, you probably won't need it. In which case, you could just add another lb. of 2-row to replace the sugar and maintain the OG.

Your original recipe had way too much Golden Naked Oats. Treat it like a crystal malt (0-5% total on average in IPAs).

I agree watching out with the golden naked. It can lend an odd (for my taste) tart berry/fruit flavor in high amounts. Not quite what I look for in an IPA.

Also, the victory adds a nice toasted aspect, but so does the pale ale malt. If you want more toasted/bready, you could just up the pale ale malt and get rid of the victory. I think a split of pale ale/ 2 row with a 3-5 percent golden naked addition mashed low is a good place to start as well.

Bob's suggestion also looks great.

Yeah, this is the first time using Naked Oats, so I wasn't quite sure if I had too much in there. I agree, I like 2-row/Pale Ale combo, but I feel like keeping in the Victory this time for something a little different.

I love what Bob did with my hop schedule. I tend to over complicate it at times and it's good to have a different set of eyes to help change my thought pattern. I'm learning that 99% of the time simple is always better.

Just wanted to give an update on this one. Followed Bobbrews advice. Tasted before kegging this past weekend. So far this is the best tasting brew I've tasted straight out of the fermenter.

I think the balance of bitterness/flavor and aroma are spot on. It's dry hopping right now and I'll do a force carb end of the week because I can't wait to taste this thing!

Thanks again Bobbrews. I'll let you know how the final product tastes. Just wanted to give some feedback and thank you for helping me out on this one!

Glad it worked out for you. I would still recommend doing a dual stage dryhop with 2 oz. for the first 4-5 days, then pull out and discard. Add the remaining 2 oz. for the last 4-5 days, and discard. So 4 oz. dryhops total.

Be careful not to introduce oxygen. Keep a protective layer of C02 and flush if you can. Pitch some bloomed gelatin into the cold crashed beer and wait 2-3 more days. It will help you with clearing. I'd love to see a picture when it's complete.

Damn, already have 4 oz. sitting in the keg. I usually dry hop in the fermenter, then again in the keg. I just got a little lazy with this one. I might just have to roll with what I've got. I'll post a pic once it's done.

Bobbrews...I just tapped this one. I want it ready for tonight. We're having a bunch of people over to watch some playoff hockey. I had a taste...wow!!! It's freaking smooth and so full of flavor and aroma.

The only thing I would do differently next time is up my sulfate to make the bitterness pop a little more, or maybe I'll just keep the same water profile and add a larger 60 min addition. I cut down the Gypsum on purpose because my last two were pretty bitter from a higher amount. Just trying to zero in on my tastes.

It's cloudy as hell because it's barely three weeks old, but I really don't care. I think my non-IPA friends are going to love this one.

If this thing lasts long enough to clear I'll post a pic for you.

Thanks again!! This forum rules. So many great people on here. I've gone from knowing zero to a ton just from this forum.

Glad you liked it! Yeah, I like my sulfate / chloride ratio at 3:1 or 4:1, respectively. It really helps the IPA style to taste better. Next time, try cold crashing with gelatin to solve your clearing problems.

Back