Please clarify

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
First year hop grower here with a question. I've been reading conflicting info and just need to be clarified. I have planted 8 hop crowns, all are producing 4-6 bines each, tallest being around 8 inches so far. I've read to choose the strongest bine from each plant and train to the wire. I've also read to let all of the bines grow to full potential the first couple years. My question, being that I planted crowns and not rhizomes do I still let all the bines grow? If so do I train all the bines to grow vertically? Thanks, just want to do it all the right way.

From a rhizome, you would let everything grow the first year to stimulate root production.

From a crown, its your call. If you think it needs the extra sunlight to grow a bigger crown, let them go...understanding that you will probably get a lower yield. If you really want to get something this year, I would train 4 or 5 of them. That will still give you plenty of root growth, too.

GVH_Dan said:
From a rhizome, you would let everything grow the first year to stimulate root production.

From a crown, its your call. If you think it needs the extra sunlight to grow a bigger crown, let them go...understanding that you will probably get a lower yield. If you really want to get something this year, I would train 4 or 5 of them. That will still give you plenty of root growth, too.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks for answering.

Back