How To Make A Beer Crate For 12oz Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stapler of any sort (pneumatic, gas, electric, etc), finish nails with a hammer (oh so slow) or lots of clamps and patience. Small self-drilling screws may also work.

The fasteners are there to hold it steady while the glue ch res. They add very little strength.

I did the 2 crates from 5 boards posted on the second or third page. I went with the wood glue and pneumatic brad nailer. Put them together pretty quick. Word of wisdom though...

Because I couldn't fit the boards in my car, I had to cut them in smaller pieces at Home Depot. Plan your cuts out better because I forgot to take into account the linear length lost from the saw width and thus my crates are pretty hard to stack.

I used coarse thread drywall screws and predrilled with 1/8" bit. Oh yeah and lots of patience like stated above

If you used a good wood glue with the drywall screws, you'll be fine. If you didn't, I wouldn't trust too much weight in those crates.

Drywall screws have terrible sheer strength. And that's fine with drywall, where it's not needed. Their whole purpose is to hold the drywall against the studs, and they accomplish it well by using massive quantities. That much inward force in so many places creates a huge amount of friction against the studs, so drywall never moves. But that's not the case here.

If you want to use screws on this plan, decking screws are a much better choice because they're coated for outdoor use, have a self-drilling head (no pilot holes needed) and typically have Torx or pan-head drives.

Decking screws don't split the 1x's?

Good decking screws have a self-drilling fluted head, so they never split. I've racked probably 10# worth of decking screws into 1x, 2x, 1/2" ply and 3/4" ply. Only had 2 splits in the whole 10# worth, and it was at places where I could tell the wood wanted to split before I started driving it.

Dec-King-description.jpg

The ones I bought at Lowe's were coated tan to hide in mid-color wood grain (not pictured) and with a smaller head than other wood screws (as pictured). Mine did not have the wings above the tip fluting, because I can only imagine that the wings take away from the gripping power of the screw threads by enlargening the hole too far.

Ideally, you'd want no threads for the last half of the shank to help pull the two 1x pieces together, but I'm not sure you'll find that with until the decking screws get to closer to 2".

After splitting some pieces with screws (yes, decking screws), I ended up screwing the ends together, then nailing the rest, sides first, then bottom. I made 7 total. I used the mod on page 3 and lowered the verticals .5" to get them to interlock. I really like the crates! Too lazy to stain or finish so far, maybe later... I'll drink about it.

ForumRunner_20130331_213400.jpg

I made 4 over the Easter weekend using the modified plans. As an FYI, the dimensions of the crate almost require the dividers (or in my case, old beer cartons) without the dividers the bottles are a little too lose for my liking.

P1010783_zps90b3ee8f.jpg

P1010782_zps8f0089dc.jpg

P1010784_zps21ba0f56.jpg

The initial plans definitely require a divider or 6-packs within the crate. I'm gonna get some hardboard cut up at Home Depot. It'll be more costly to have them make the strips for me, but it'll save me a ton of time since I don't have a table-saw.

Here's my first crate, though, modified to have the the vertical strips stick up and support the case on top.

5rsFQny.jpg

I got sides, and bottoms put on last night before my power screwdriver finally gave out. So I'm going to finish today...

As far as dividers, has anyone tried the dividers inside like a 24pk of yingling bottles? I'd do the nice ones if I had a table saw, but alas.

I got sides, and bottoms put on last night before my power screwdriver finally gave out. So I'm going to finish today...

As far as dividers, has anyone tried the dividers inside like a 24pk of yingling bottles? I'd do the nice ones if I had a table saw, but alas.

I use them from sams 24 packs and they fit perfectly. It is cardboard, but it keeps the bottles seperated and from clinking together.

Managed to build another 3 with my left-over cedar :)

Now to move over to cheaper materials. I don't want to build everything with cedar since the price would be $9/crate vs. $4/crate with cheaper SPF lumber from Home Depot.

I have a ton of fence boards left from last summer's project... so maybe I'll make a fancy little 6-pack or something. Really wish I had a nailgun, though.

This is an excellent thread. I have many, many loose Grolsch bottles in the basement, since most of the cardboard has gotten wet over time and ruined.

I just measured my Grolsch bottles in a 3 x 4 arrangement (12 bottles altogether) in their cardboard 4s with some slots empty...

I came up with: 14.5" x 8.75" x 10" (with swing-tops on)

So if I'm reading the original plans right, I need to add 1.5 inches to the bottom slats and 3" to the long-sides lengths, and 3/4 inch + 1/2" (over bottle gap) to the vertical ones?

So I'm thinking final dimensions would be:
bottom slats: 16"
short sides: 8.75"
verticals: 11.25"
long sides: 17.5"

Not sure if I need to make any adjustments to add the wood dividers from 1st post too since I measured them with the thin cardboard holder.

Hopefully they'll all fit on my first try. :mug:

This is an excellent thread. I have many, many loose Grolsch bottles in the basement, since most of the cardboard has gotten wet over time and ruined.

I just measured my Grolsch bottles in a 3 x 4 arrangement (12 bottles altogether) in their cardboard 4s with some slots empty...

So if I'm reading the original plans right, I need to add 1.5 inches to the bottom slats and 3" to the long-sides lengths, and 3/4 inch + 1/2" (over bottle gap) to the vertical ones?

Not sure if I need to make any adjustments to add the wood dividers from 1st post too since I measured them with the thin cardboard holder.

I used Grolsch bottles too, my dimensions are a bit different from what you got though...

Thanks to the OP for the instructions and to the others that provided tips on making these. :)
(Sorry for the crappy pic.....and for forgetting to paint the inside of the closet when I painted the basement after I moved in :eek: )

HcOEmyA.jpg

How'd these dimensions work for you with the Grolsch bottles?

As promised, I worked the measurements about half a page back into plans.

Code:
Lumber for Beer Crates (24x 12oz)		Lumber for Beer Crates (12x 22oz)
=================================		=================================
Interior: 15-1/2" W x 10-1/2" D x 9-1/4" H	Interior: 11-3/4" W x 8-3/4" D x 11-1/2" H

Five 1x2 @ 17" (bottom slats)			Five 1x2 @ 13-1/4" (bottom slats)
Four 1x2 @ 10" (vertical ends)			Four 1x2 @ 12-1/4" (vertical ends)
Four 1x3 @ 10-1/2" (short sides)		Four 1x3 @ 8-3/4" (short sides)
Four 1x3 @ 18-1/2" (long sides)			Four 1x3 @ 14-3/4" (long sides)

Lumber for Beer Crates (12x WM Pint)		Lumber for Beer Crates (12x WM Quart)
====================================		=====================================
Interior: 14-1/8" W x 10-5/8" D x 5" H		Interior: 15" W x 11-1/8" D x 6-3/4" H

Five 1x2 @ 15-5/8" (bottom slats)		Five 1x2 @ 16-1/2" (bottom slats)
Four 1x2 @ 5-3/4" (vertical ends)		Four 1x2 @ 7-1/2" (vertical ends)
Four 1x3 @ 10-5/8" (short sides)		Four 1x3 @ 11-1/8" (short sides)
Four 1x3 @ 17-1/8" (long sides)			Four 1x3 @ 18" (long sides)

Lumber for Beer Crates (6x .5-Gal)		Lumber for Beer Crates (12x 1L Teddy's)
==================================		=======================================
Interior: 13-5/8" W x 9-1/8" D x 9-1/2" H	Interior: 13-7/8" W x 10-3/8" D x 10-1/2" H

Five 1x2 @ 15-1/8" (bottom slats)		Five 1x2 @ 15-3/8" (bottom slats)
Four 1x2 @ 10-1/4" (vertical ends)		Four 1x2 @ 11-1/4" (vertical ends)
Four 1x3 @ 9-1/8" (short sides)			Four 1x3 @ 10-3/8" (short sides)
Four 1x3 @ 16-5/8" (long sides)			Four 1x3 @ 16-7/8" (long sides)

Do you also happen to know how many pieces of lumber to get per crate (or multiple crates)? You might have already figured out a neat system how to best utilize each piece so I thought I'd ask :mug:

Nevermind, I found the answer:

I made one slight modification that allows you to cut the # of pieces of lumber (assuming 8') from 4 pieces (2 of each) to 3 pieces by replacing the 5 17" slats made with the 1x2 with 4 17" pieces made with the 1x3.

This will actually let you make 2 full crates with 5 total piece since the 1x2 strip can be used across 2 differen crates by only using it for the vertical pieces.

Summary of the breakdown for one crate:

1x3: 18.5 | 18.5 | 18.5 | 18.5 | 10.5 | 10.5
1x3: 10.5 | 10.5 | 17 | 17 | 17 | 17
1x2: 10 | 10 | 10 | 10

Thanks for sharing this idea, and thanks to the original fence picket too! Awesome being able to make 2 crates for less than $5 (I didn't do the dividers).

I just built 8 of these crates for <$4 each crate. I used 10 1x3x8 furring strips and 12 1x2x8 furring strips. They came out great with some simple 1-1/4" steel finishing nails. Here's some pics. And before you guys all laugh, my spare bathroom tub is my beer bottle storage location. We do shower/bathe in the other bathroom hehe.

20130819_154425.jpg

20130819_154410.jpg

I love these crates- so far I've made 3. I moved the top side rail up 1/2 inch so they can stack more easily. Also, I created the wood finish just by slightly charring the wood with a blowtorch (before assembling). And instead of making the dividers, I just used old 6 pack holders- seemed easier.

2013-08-13 14.01.07.jpg

Nice! I like the idea of a small blackboard plaque for labeling! How did you do that?

Chalkboard paint. It comes in a spray can or brush on.

Has anyone made these for 750s? I'm sure I can figure out the dimensions, but sometimes my DIY projects turn out to be DI-why, oh why? so I though I'd save myself the headache of screwing the first one up if possible.

Does anyone have the original plans that were provided in the first post? I'm fairly confused reading all these dimensions. Thanks!

Built one up around a styrofoam cooler from Omaha Steaks, then did a dark walnut stain. Wood came from the crate they packed our TV in when we got relocated.

image-3882501867.jpg

image-2289593249.jpg

Just a quick "thank you" post to UncleDavid for starting this thread off and sharing his very detailed plans/design.

I was surching a little while back for commercial crates that would hold my small bottles of Homebrew when I came across this forum and this thread.

A little while later I got round to getting the materials and only this past weekend spent the time making four of these. Still have to make the dividers, but so very pleased with the results. Not that I'm any good at woodwork or general dyi and some are a little wonky in places, but they work, are sturdy enough and i uhave to admit at being quite chuffed that I made something.

So, many thanks UncleDavid.

Anyone have dimensions for a 12 pack of 750ml Belgian style bottles? If not I'll post one this Sunday as I plan on making a few.

Has anyone had problems with the finish nails pulling out from the slats at the bottom joint? seems like drywall screws would work better, but I prefer to stay with a proven solition. How many finish nails were used per bottom slat?

Has anyone had problems with the finish nails pulling out from the slats at the bottom joint? seems like drywall screws would work better, but I prefer to stay with a proven solition. How many finish nails were used per bottom slat?

I've built quite a few of these in various sizes now, so I have the process down pat. On my initial models, I skimped a bit on the nails and had this problem. It's also worse when your timber for the bottom slats or vertical riser pieces aren't close to square.

I use two nails on each bottom slat to attach to the side assemblies and three additional to attach to the bottom slats across the entire long bottom piece. I also try to make sure the timber for the bottom slats closest to the long side slats and the vertical risers are as straight as possible. I haven't found these crates worth the effort to joint and plane, so I just pick my cuts carefully.

Edit: I just realized you are probably talking about the bottom slats, not the side slats. I use two nails per side, per slat. The cross nails explained above help the side bottom slats, but I've only ever had a problem with one bottom slat. I just re-nailed it and that was that. I use 15 gauge pneumatic finish nails, for what it's worth.

Here's a pic of the nail configuration I use:

CrateNails.jpg

Back