a few questions about Mash/Mashout/sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brant740

Reaction score
I am new to all grain and after my first couple batches I am hooked. I am setting up an eHerms system, however, I have a few questions about Mash/Mashout/sparge.

First if using herms to maintain temp, should I raise temp to 168 prior to mashout so I dont have to worry about sparge water temp calculations?

Second, after running mash for an hour can I add sparge water to the mash tun and recirculate it all for an hour?

Thank you in advance.

This is what I do. Raise recirc temps to 168 for 10 min. And then fly sparge at the same 168 until I have my preboil volume. I'm only a few brews in on my new system so don't know if another method would be better.

This is what I do. Raise recirc temps to 168 for 10 min. And then fly sparge at the same 168 until I have my preboil volume. I'm only a few brews in on my new system so don't know if another method would be better.

Thanks for replying.

So you don't recirc the sparge?

I mash for 60 minutes or however long. Then raise the hlt water to 170 or higher to raise the grain bed to mashout temps. Recirculate the mash for 15 minutes or so. Then I stop recirculating the "mash out", then I begin to sparge through my coil in my hlt while draining my mt to my bk until I reach my pre-boil gravity..

Back