Help with a Sierra Nevada and Remmers clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongzilla

Reaction score
Hi can some one help me with these recipes?

Can someone give me a clone recipe for Sierra Nevada pale ale, ether extract or partial mash?

Also does anyone know a recipe for Nero Wolfs favorite beer Remmers?

Thanks for your help;
Mongzilla

Here is the recipe somebody gave me for a SNPA clone and it is delish. I have a bottle of SNPA to side by side with, but I dont want to ruin the enjoyment of drinking my home brew, so I never side by sided them.

Drink some early, as the hoppyness from the dry hops will fade and leave you more of a SNPA firmly bitter beer. Both the fresh and aged beers are good, just different. As for the dry hops, just chunk the pellets in the fermenter, they will be fine.

Recipe:

(5 Gallon Batch)

6 lbs pale dry malt extract or 7 1/4 pale liquid malt extract
3/4 lb Crystal 40

1 oz Perle @ 60 mins
1 oz Casdade @ 15 mins
1 oz Cascade @ 5 mins
1 oz Cascade dry hops
1 tsp irish moss or 1 whirlfloc tab at 10 mins
Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WL001 or Saf-Ale US-5

Steep the crystal malt in 2 gals of water at 150F for 30 mins.
Top water up to boil volume
Follow your normal boil procedures for a 60 min boil, adding the hops and kettle finings at the above times.
Chill to 65F and pitch. Ferment cool 65-68F for minimum 2 weeks
Bottle with 3/4 cup corn sugar

Not sure about the other beer, I've never heard of it.

It is a beer Nero Wolf drank in his books and was a real one. It’s from just after prohibition, it is no longer made, and I cannot find much info on it.

Anybody on the side know about historic beers I could contact?

Dave

Well I looked up Nero Wolfe on Wikipedia, since I've never heard of it. I take it Remmer's is a fictional beer, but I could be wrong. Either way, being that it's post prohibition in America, you want to try brewing a Classic American Pilsner which I believe was a fairly popular style at the time. It is listed in the BJCP Style Guidelines, category 2C, but it's not a style that's brewed commericially at any significant volume.

A couple recipes and links to other recipes in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/classic-american-pilsner-63303/

Good luck :mug:

Mongzilla said:
Hi can some one help me with these recipes?

Can someone give me a clone recipe for Sierra Nevada pale ale, ether extract or partial mash?

Also does anyone know a recipe for Nero Wolfs favorite beer Remmers?

Thanks for your help;
Mongzilla

I have an all grain recipe but for extract I'd use about 7.2gal of extra pale or golden LME

Anyway you'll want 1lb of crystal malt (60L) that you let seep for 25 min at 155

Hop schedule:
1/3 oz. Magnum at 60min
1/2oz of perle at 30 min
1oz cascade at 10 min.
2oz cascade at Flameout

WLP001 or US-05

Cool and ferment at 65-68*

Well I looked up Nero Wolfe on Wikipedia, since I've never heard of it. I take it Remmer's is a fictional beer, but I could be wrong. Either way, being that it's post prohibition in America, you want to try brewing a Classic American Pilsner which I believe was a fairly popular style at the time. It is listed in the BJCP Style Guidelines, category 2C, but it's not a style that's brewed commericially at any significant volume.

A couple recipes and links to other recipes in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/classic-american-pilsner-63303/

Good luck :mug:

thanks for the link.:mug:

And thanks for all your help.

I didn't pay attention to the date on this, so my apologies on the resurrection of what I'm sure is an old post. Remmer's was in fact a real beer, brewed by the Remmer Brewery in Germany around the time of World War 1. Its importation to the US was stopped during prohibition, but resumed after prohibition was ended. Eventually the brewery was bought up by Beck and Co. As far as a recipe for Remmer's, I wish I had one. Hell, I don't know exactly what kind of beer it would fall under so I wouldn't even know where to start.

Latest posts

Back