Crayon wax for bottle sealing....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
Just a thought... Does this have the possibility of working, or is the crayon wax far too flakey? Maybe there's a chemical additive that could prevent this? I've got a lot of crayons over here from when my ex girlfriend went yard sale crazy and bought a five gallon bucket of crayons.

I've used crayons and they work but obviously not as good a bottle wax. Sort of brittle and it cracks really easy. I have added glue sticks to the crayons with some success.

The hot glue sticks sound awesome. I have used candle wax before and it is very brittle. But I bet there would be a ratio you could figure out for hot glue and paraffin wax with crayons used as coloring.

Well see, I'd like to know about the different make up of "proper" bottling wax, as against the hot glue stick and the parafin wax/pigmentation that makes up crayons.

Whether there's any potential health issue etc.

After all, the linked guidance showing the dipped beer bottles is showing a crown cap, which already gives an air tight seal.

A corked bottle would be somewhat different. Some micro-oxygenation will take place over time and is there likely anything that might cause issue ?

"Proper" bottle sealing wax has proven properties etc.

I've eaten plenty of crayons in my younger years, with no ill effects (despite what my wife says).

Most likely, the crayons won't hurt you. The glue, however.....

Back