wanted 1.052 got 1.046

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
Had some brew day challenges today...

Was making Yooper's oatmeal stout. Between miscalculating sparge water and a leaking hose clamp on my wort chiller, my OG was 1.046 instead of the predicted 1.052.

I've brewed enough batches to know not to freak, but I have four questions..

1. In Beersmith, what option does one pick for a single mash in followed by a single batch sparge?

2. How accurate are the sparge volumes and temps on Beersmith?

3. What impact will being .06 OG points off have on my beer. I am assuming I'll end up with a slightly thinner, slightly lower ABV beer. Is this correct.

4. Is it just me, or is an ice bath done right just as fast as a wort chiller?

Thanks to all on this forum for all your help.

1. You should pick single infusion, medium body (or light if mashed at 150F or full if mashed near 158). This is with a mash out (raising the temp to 170 for 10 minutes at the end of mash). Select no mash out if you are not doing this.

2. I use a lot less sparge water than Beersmith recommends and I can't find a way to adjust it, even in my own made mash profile. I use about .5 gallons per pound of grain.

3. It will be lower alcohol and might be thinner depending on mash temp. It will also be slightly hoppier due to a lower gravity during boil and better hop utilization.

I just adjust the efficiency until the measured OG is the estimated OG, this will also show your new IBU's

4. Don't know about wort chiller but I do partial boils of 3.5 gallon batches, partial boils of 2.5 gallons and cool down to 65 after 10 minute ice bath and then adding nearly frozen distilled water.

I'm really new too so please anybody correct me if any of my information is not completely correct.

beersmith has been pretty good for me as far as reaching my target gravity. Sometimes not. I mostly fixed the problem by creating my own equipment profile based on everything I use.

I have no experience with beersmith since i just got it about a week ago so i can't talk for that.

It will be lighter but not by a whole lot. Ur yeast strain may take the FG lower then anticipated to keep the abv close (not guaranteed but not impossible)

I never got a partial boil 2.5 max down to pitching temp in under a half hour and that is with two bags of ice and constantly stirring the ice water around it. My counterflow chiller now is ridiculous since I have very cold tap water year round. The last two test batches took it from 201 degree water going in to 61 coming out and that was with 50 degree water coming from my spigot.

My wort chiller cools to 70F in about 15 minutes. I'd never go back to an ice bath. Sloppy and messy, unless you have a huge ass sink.

My wort chiller cools to 70F in about 15 minutes. I'd never go back to an ice bath. Sloppy and messy, unless you have a huge ass sink.

gaylord...I tried to message you but either your mailbox is full or you have messaging off.

Back