How to make my brews sweeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
I've made 6 batches of brew so far and they all taste real good but I want a sweeter brew. My last batch was a porter and I even tried to just overload on the extract and molasses but I just boosted my abv from a 5% to 8%. I'm not using a yeast starter just 1 vial yeast per 5 gallons. Is it my temps? I ferment at 70 degrees. Any help would be awesome.

You could try adding lactose that is basically milk sugar that doesn't ferment. I use it in my stouts and porters and it turns out great. If you upgrade to all grain you can just use a higher saccrification rest.

You need more complex (vs simple) sugars. Crystal malt is a great way to elevate your FG as the yeast aren't able to convert all of its sugars. Another method you can try if your brewing AG is to elevate your mash temp - I typically mash around 155 for my porters.

Adding more sugar doesn't make it sweeter if all the sugar is fermentable. It actually does the opposite and makes it drier.

I agree, if you're extract brewing only, lactose and maltodextrine (different than dextrose) are your only options. If you can steep some grains, then some CaraPils is an option.

You need more complex (vs simple) sugars. Crystal malt is a great way to elevate your FG as the yeast aren't able to convert all of its sugars.

Plus 1 to the above. Use or increase the amount of crystal/caramel malt that you are steeping for your extract recipes.

So I could use lactose in my porters and stouts but what about my ipa's and wheat beers and other lighter beers.

splattsmier said:
You need more complex (vs simple) sugars. Crystal malt is a great way to elevate your FG as the yeast aren't able to convert all of its sugars. Another method you can try if your brewing AG is to elevate your mash temp - I typically mash around 155 for my porters.

+1 also on this, steeping some crystal malts at 155* for 15-30 minutes will add exactly what you are looking for doing an extract batch. Splatts already tipped you to the AG

As yooper said, reduce the bittering hops. You can ferment a beer down to 1.00 FG and it will taste sweet if you don't add bittering hops. This concept works all the way up the chain to bigger and bigger OG beers.

Back