Another "what should I buy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
Quick background. I live in Germany and will be moving home summer 2014. When I get back, I want to upgrade to 10 gallon batches and need some input on the pots. I have a lot of weldless stuff and would like to reutilize at least some of it. I have received a rather large GC to Midwest Supplies as a bday/wedding gift and of course (I'm assuming like most of us) it is burning a hole in my pocket. I will be holding out for possibly some cheaper prices on some items, but don't want to wait too long as I know I will end up using the GC for little piddly things while I am still here in Germany. Here are the choices.

Option A:
10 gallon Polar Ware and false bottom for MT (will install my Blichmann brewmometer and weldless ball valve)
10 gallon Polar Ware for HLT (will install one of my weldless thermometers and weldless ball valve)
15 gallon Boilermaker for BK
Chugger SS pump (will need a new pump as my current pump is 220V)

This option would also allow me to add the Blichmann false bottom to the BK (for whole leaf hops) and spend only $10 of my own money
*the only thing I don't like about this option is no sight glass on the HLT, but I could always install one from brewhardware.com (or somewhere else) like on my current BK

Option B:
10 gallon Polar Ware and false bottom for MT (will install my Blichmann brewmometer and weldless ball valve)
10 gallon Boilermaker for HLT
15 gallon Boilermaker for BK

I'm leaning towards A but thought I would pose the question to the experts.

Thanks for the input everyone

I'd go a bit bigger 15 gallon for the MT and HLT and 20 gallon for the BK. You will most definitely want a pump.

Does midwest sell chugger's? I thought they only had the March pumps for sale.

Anyway, I agree with maida in going larger if you're looking for 10 gallon batches. I think you could go 15gal all around, and be alright. Although the 20gallon bk wouldn't hurt.

Personally, I'd skip the false bottom on the BK, or use the blichman for the mash tun. I never really cared for site glasses though.

They just started selling chuggers. I have a march now but a pump with a SS head for $150 and you can't really go wrong.

One of the reasons I was thinking 10-10-15 was because I want to still be able to brew 5 gallon batches without having a ton of extra room everywhere, especially in the MT. I have seen larger 10 gallon setups trying to do 5 gallon batches and it did not work out well in the MT. I was thinking 5 gallon batches of large beer and 10 gallon batches of "normal" beer.

Thoughts?

Edit: or I could do the 15 gallon MT and keep my current 8 and use that for the smaller batches

Back