Hop debris clogging keg. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krid

Reaction score
I made a pretty severely dry hopped beer that I transferred to the keg right from secondary. In hindsight, I probably should have racked into another carboy to settle again before kegging it, but too late now. I thought I could just blast out the leftover hop bits (pellets) once it was carbonated, but the tap and/or dip tube must be jammed with hop leftovers. If I have to, I'll rack it to a new keg, but is there anything else I can try first to clear the blockage. It smells fantastic and I want to drink it NOW! Thanks.

Release alll pressure, remove the liquid post, clear ALL hop debris (take the spring out, etc)

Replace. Re-pressurize and try to serve. Repeat as many times as you want, but if it takes more than 2 you might want another option.

I'd rack it to another keg and be done with it. FWIW, I've minimized this problem considerably by dry-hopping in the primary. Most will stay behind when you rack to the secondary and your keg will be nice and clean when it's time to enjoy. Cheers, Bob

Thanks! I think I'll try the post first and if that doesn't work, rack it.

Clearing the post will work, but it may clog again after 6 or 7 pours. Unless it clogs every pour, I would keep clearing. I am lazy.

To avoid this in the future you can do what I do...rack from primary to your keg and dry hop in the keg. I keep the dry hops in a hop bag with a drawstring and use a hose clamp to secure the drawstring to the bottom of the pressure relief valve on the keg lid. Not only does this keep all of the hops contained, but it keeps your beer smelling hoppy till the keg kicks.

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I ended up taking the post off and it was clogged with hop debris. And so was the dip tube. I ended up racking to a new keg and I'm glad I did. There was enough green left in there to clog it up 20 times.

Lesson learned.

MIne did the same thing,I retardedly used loose leaf in the keg. Ended up getting most back into a small bag to contiunue dryhopping but still left some debrie. I just cleared the tube again,now its stuck again. I wonder if one of those racking cane filters for the steel racking canes would work.Because I tried wrapping a very small hop bag around the bottem but it bunched up-clogging it also and wouldnt suck anything back out. Its a really good ipa,just got a weak stream foamy pour of about 4 oz of it. I even used a skimmer I found to get most of it out but it barley fit in the small keg so I couldnt get all of it out. If I could find a longer less wide skimmer,that would be perfect maybe.

Back