Killer Bee Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashar83

Reaction score
I've been making mead for a couple of years now and have worked with a variety of honey, but never killer bee honey. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it turn out?

Just wanted to know because the honey is insanely expensive.

https://www.onnit.com/killer-bee-honey/

Thanks!

So, I'm really impatient (terrible quality in one who makes mead, I know) and I ordered some of the honey. Really looking forward to trying this. Will make into a show mead.

I think it's more of a marketing ploy. It is going to likely be on the same lines as a wildflower honey; just from Africanized hives. Beefolks sells it at the same price as their regular honeys so there's nothing special about it beyond a cool story note.

That only took you 35 minutes to go ahead and order it, maybe you should make a JAOM with this :) They have an extra big smoker for working these bees and I think they wear extra layers under their bee suit. I got stung in the ear today just standing around watching the bees working! I think it was an accident and I just got in the way. What are you going to name this batch? WVMJ

I've been making mead for a couple of years now and have worked with a variety of honey, but never killer bee honey. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it turn out?

Just wanted to know because the honey is insanely expensive.

https://www.onnit.com/killer-bee-honey/

Thanks!

I haven't decided what to call it the, and I'll decide what I'll make with it once I've had a chance to taste the honey.

I'm a big fan of the sweeter show Meads, so that's where I'm leaning. Hopefully it'll made some killer Mead, though.

I haven't decided what to call it the, and I'll decide what I'll make with it once I've had a chance to taste the honey.

I'm a big fan of the sweeter show Meads, so that's where I'm leaning. Hopefully it'll made some killer Mead, though.
Look, show meads are a big PITA, so unless you can get a laboratory stirrer that can handle the target volume I'd suggest a sack mead, but start it at lower gravity, then step feed it with small amounts of extra honey until the yeast poops out, then back sweeten it if need be.

The killer bee honey seems to read nicely, if very variable from season to season (its not available here).

Either way, you should be able to get a decent brew from it......

It's a gimmick. Safe yourself some money and go with some wildflower honey next time.

Guys it doesnt cost any more than regular wildflower honey, at least on BeeFolks. If you payed more for it, its because you got it at some snobby honey shop geared toward tea drinkers. (I drink tea so I'm not snubbing them; but you won't catch me buying Savannah Bee Co for my meads.)

Ashar83 said:

Mead de muerto?

Back