Is my Cider Contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsk10

Reaction score
Im a first timer and im a bit worried :(
Can someone tell me if my Cider is contaminated?

Thanks in advance

WP_000293.jpg

looks like plain old Krausen to me. If you're worried about it, you can shake it so the liquid reincorporates it in. Is that a starter? Looks like its in a soda bottle?

And what is Krausen? :)
And what are some must have equipment is should get?

And what is Krausen? :)
And what are some must have equipment is should get?

Krausen is basicly foam from the yeast doing its thing. What kind of yeast did you use? what all is in the recipe?
One way to see if its infected is to smell it. If it smells like vinegar or vomit or sour dough then its probably infected. if it smells like wine, beer, or liquor then it should be fine. If it smells like bread then its probably fine but will tast yeasty.

The recipe is basicaly just Apple juice, Sugar and Bread Yeast.

Its probably going to taste sour using bread yeast like sour dough apple bread but from your picture it looks ok. Next time get a champaign yeast or brewers yeast Lavlin EC-1118 is only $0.94 on midwestbrew's sight
Bread yeast makes things taste to yeasty in my opinion.

Also you can get a gallon jug, stopper, and airlock for under $20.00 on that site and that will help keep infection down a lot.

i also work with bottles. i would fill them more to the top. this would leave less space for oxigen, but the drawback is the foam and if you are going to give more sugar into it, it will be a mess.
and yes, bread yeast is not that nice. tried it couple of times but the taste was not nice. wine yeast is inexpensive and i like its taste, i also like to drink the federweisser because of the taste and of the the minerals and vitamines containing in the yeasts.

Back