Make rock candy from wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbeardbeer

Reaction score
Friend of mine asked me last night if it's possible to make him some rock candy from wort (after boil, with the hops in there, etc). Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Are you talking about this stuff?

Rock-Candy-Sticks.gif

I haven't tried it yet, but you got me excited to try....I don't see why doing what I did to make my IPA Cotton Candy couldn't be taken one step further to make rock candy with....I just turned beer into hard candy and back into sugar. So I don't see why the next step of growing crystals wouldn't work. It's not wort, it's beer. But the principle is the same.

Looks like I have an experiment when I get home.

The more I look into it it kinda seems like a waste of time and steps for the cool factor of rock candy, you can just as easily take what I posted in the cotton candy thread and make beer lolipops and have them done that same day, rather than a few days to make the crystals form. Plus you can make 100 lolipops in one sitting just by pouring out the melted sugar onto the silicone mat in little circles and dropping a stick on them.

Didn't realize it would take days to grow the crystals. You should show him my beer candy thread and see if he'd be just as happy with beer suckers.

To make the rock candy, you have to then take what I made and then make a saturated sugar syrup, then put it in a jar with a string and let it grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back