How to clone my favorite Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dae06

Reaction score
I found an ale from a local brewery that I absolutely love. How do I go about creating this myself? It's a Brown Ale made by Pearl Street Brewing in Lacrosse Wi. Described as:

An all-malt American Brown Ale with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma comes predominantly from the malt with a hint of the spiciness of imported British hops. Seven distinct specialty malts are milled at the brewery and mashed together, providing a complex, nutty flavor with subtle, roasted undertones. This Pearl Street original is a favorite amongst locals and professional beer judges alike. Gold Medal Winner at the World Beer Championships, 2003. Available on draught year ‘round.

I would love to be able to brew this myself. Here is the link: Pearl Street Brewery

It's the very top one: D.T.B Brown Ale

Have you tried asking for a recipe from one of the brewers? See if they're willing to share the recipe in their measurements (pounds per barrel, etc) and convert it yourself. Your odds are 50/50.

Yes, through e-mail only. I may try to see him in person and ask for it. I'm doughtful though, but its worth a try.

I'd say your best bet is to go in and personally talk to them, it's a little more personal than email. Try to strike up a friendly conversation and mention your a homebrewer and love that beer. They may not give you amounts, but see if they will at least give you some information on what types of grains, hops and yeast they are using. If your lucky enough, maybe they will even give you a bit of their house yeast strain.

If they will at least tell you what type of malt and hops, along with the vital stats of OG/FG, SRM, IBU, you could get close.

Back