english IPA/IIPA recipe critique/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthesound

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about making a big english IPA. I've had some American made versions of english IPA's, and I like the idea, but of course, want to try and make it my own. I'm contemplating using fuggles for everything but the 60 minute addition. I've used challenger in an ESB that has become one of my mainstays, and I'm curious to use it in this IPA, but I only know its flavor in the context of a very malt driven beer.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking

5gal batch
12# maris otter
.25# crystal 120L (really just for color)

2oz challenger@60
1oz fuggles @30
1oz fuggles@15
1 oz fuggles@10
1oz fugles@flameout
2oz fuggles@dry hop for 5-7 days.

wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast

@80% efficiency

1.072 o.g. 1.014 f.g.
71 ibu's, 7.7%abv

Any other thoughts? I'm mostly looking for suggestions for bittering hops and/or yeast. I've used the ESB yeast for my ESB and love it, it's a little characterful, but not in the way that another english yeast I've used was (safale s-04). I used the s-04in a light bodied enligsh pale ale, and thought it was pretty tasty, though I don't know if it will be exactly what I want in a bigger english IPA.

Help me out!

Back