Filling growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaphly42

Reaction score
I started kegging with my last batch. Unfortunately, I don't have a kegerator yet (gonna be a while before my wife lets me, haha). So, for now, I fill a growler to leave in the fridge. The first problem was with a sticky tap, due to going a week or two between using it. I solved that issue by filling a second keg with cleaner/sanitizer solution. After a pour, I just switch the line over and run until clear.

The main problem is filling it. I pour down the side, but I always end up with a lot of head in the growler, but flat beer a couple hours later when I drink it. I'm running larger line (5/16" I believe). I've heard smaller line can change the pour, would that help here? Or any other ideas y'all might have? Thanks!

I started kegging with my last batch. Unfortunately, I don't have a kegerator yet (gonna be a while before my wife lets me, haha). So, for now, I fill a growler to leave in the fridge. The first problem was with a sticky tap, due to going a week or two between using it. I solved that issue by filling a second keg with cleaner/sanitizer solution. After a pour, I just switch the line over and run until clear.

The main problem is filling it. I pour down the side, but I always end up with a lot of head in the growler, but flat beer a couple hours later when I drink it. I'm running larger line (5/16" I believe). I've heard smaller line can change the pour, would that help here? Or any other ideas y'all might have? Thanks!

Check out this youtube video. This same method can be used for growlers....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use something similar to what he shows in the video. Swap out the racking cane for a short length of hose with a bottle filling wand and you have my setup. It saves a bit of dripping on the floor without having to do the "tip it up" thing he shows in the video.

However, this method only works if you can chill the keg. You won't get good results with a room temperature keg.

Thanks for the info. Chilling the keg isn't really a possibility right now. I have a plate chiller, wondering if I can use that somehow. Would have to be jockey box style though, since keg is in basement.

I don't know of any way to fill bottles with carbonated beer without chilling. Maybe you could consider a keg tub, and ice bath, salt, and plenty of chilling time?

You could gently stir in priming sugar, then immediately bottle, if your only option is warm. You'll have to wait for them to carb up naturally, though. And this doesn't really save you any time over using a plain bottling bucket.

The problem you're experiencing is that all of your CO2 is falling out of solution as warm beer passes through the warm lines and hits a warm growler. Are you force carbing at room temperature? That would take an insane amount of pressure.

supaphly42 said:
Maybe I'll have to work on getting a fridge sooner than later then...

Where are you? I know many grocery stores in the Midwest offer chest freezer deals. I got mine at a Jewel in Chicago for $170 with a coupon book worth about the same in free food. A cheap temp controller and a picnic tap and you are in business.

OP's location is set as New York.

But forstmeister is right. A freezer is cheap unless you want a monster sized one. You can run without a collar or coffin for quite some time if you can content yourself to lifting the lid to pour from the tap.

If you get an Igloo brand one, you don't even need to buy a controller. See my sig for more info.

Back