Is this mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobius1080

Reaction score
Ok I have made wine before but this is my first Mead, its just Honey, 1 orange sliced and 25 raisins and put them in the carboy with bread yeast (The recipe required bread yeast so no lectures). I am posting a picture of the top of the bottle, there are little spots where some of the yeast had stuck to the side when I poured it in, I am not sure if that is now mold or if its dried yeast that dried to react to the moister in the air.

The smell from the airlock is a nice smell so it does not smell like a bottle of mold and the spots appear no where on the exposed orange, you can see there is film on the top and I have read that's normal.

Any help I can get, I hope the picture is enough, I don't mind starting all over but I would rather not have to if I don't

IMG_20130422_243259_863.jpg

looks more like some dried up krausen from some active fermentation foam up. You should be fine, but if you're on the side of cautious, you can shake the mead up to reincorporate them back into the mead so they aren't exposed to air. But if it doesn't smell moldy, it's not mold.

If it doesn't have fur, you're fine. I'd give it a shake to put them back into the liquid, but it is just an aesthetic problem, I think...

Id leave it alone. I definatly would not swirl it back into the mead. If it is a mold as long as it doesnt touch the mead your fine. Your going to rack it out of there anyhow so no contact. If the mead smells fine then it is.

I always swirl my krausen back in to prevent somewhere for mold to grow. But VTC is right, this kind of thing is pretty much just cosmetic. If it did actually smell moldy I would rack it out of there ASAP but since its not you can leave it or swirl it at your discretion.

Back