What to do after home made malted barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atakanokan

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a beginner at the learning stage of brewing. I bought a kg of barley a few week ago and malted it at home. I splitted 1 kg of barley into 10 groups and treated each group differently at some stage of the malting process.

My question is, which procedure to follow with the malted barley in hand? Do I go with the all-grain method? Or something else? A bit confused about this topic. If someone could help me I would be grateful.

Also, if there is any way to turn homemade malted barley to homemade dry malt extract, I would like to hear how its done too.

Thanks.

Have you roasted it? If not that is the next step. After that it's really up to you - a partial mash is the easiest but it sounds like that ship has sailed. The challenge you will have in making an all grain is you don't really know your potential yield. Carefully recording the parameters of a very controlled mash will give a lot of information on your process for future grain bill decisions.

Turning malted barley into dry malt extract is possible but it's rather like building an AC Cobra clone and turning it into a Gen II Mustang. Aside from the technical aspect of it there's not much to be said for it. It would require vacuum drying to process the mashed wort.

Thanks for your answers. What I meant when malting the grain with different treatment was roasting them at different temperatures and steeping them for different durations. Why did you say 'that ship has sailed' for partial mash? And is there any other to follow aside from all-grain and partial mash method?

Thank you for your patience :).

I mean that some people see partial-mash as an easy way to get into using grains. You're way past "easy" so no reason to worry about that I guess. :)

However, 1 kg is not a lot so you could augment a base malt extract with your grains to add more flavor, or you could make a really small batch. You'd want about a pound/gallon (454g) to get 1.044. You might get a little less depending upon how converted your malt is.

I didn't choose to make brewing the hard way, its just that I have no malt extract or even malted barley available to me to make brewing life easier for me:). I just started with just 1 kg because I want to make a really small batch, in case I screw it up.

Also, I bought some hops from the local shop but the label doesn't show any info about AAU. Is there a way to measure it?

I didn't choose to make brewing the hard way, its just that I have no malt extract or even malted barley available to me to make brewing life easier for me:). I just started with just 1 kg because I want to make a really small batch, in case I screw it up.
I guess we take a lot for granted with the number of homebrew shops in the US. I'm not sure I'd be able to function without being able to run down to the LHBS on Saturday morning to grab what I forgot.

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? Are there no mail order options for you?

Also, I bought some hops from the local shop but the label doesn't show any info about AAU. Is there a way to measure it?
Well of course there is but it's generally considered an advanced laboratory procedure. If you know the variety you can make an educated guess on it.

Homebrewing isn't big enough for homebrew shops to open like in the US. I haven't been able to supply my malted grain from a big-seller beer company in Istanbul, because they don't sell it. As you can see, what I am trying to do here is the purest and hardest form of homebrewing I guess :). Of course after the people that produce their grain at home also if they exist :).

Very sad to hear that it is an advanced procedure. I don't know the variety and I'm sure the seller doesn't know it as well.

Mail order from outside is a nightmare considering the custom regulations. Thank you for all your help.

Hey Atakan,

I also live in Istanbul and brewed 4 batches so far.

Have you tried iyibira.com? Also, I heard that the wine equipment company Arma Limited is going to be importing grains.

Also, you can have them shipped from www.brouwland.com , but I am not sure what will happen in the customs. You know there is the 75€ limit for tax-free shopping, and considering it is a food product, they may cause problems. I order my hops and yeast from them and have them shipped without any problems. I am not sure about the barley though. ;)

Another option might be going to a brewery and asking them.

I have read about Brouwland.com to be a reliable company to import from; but as of two days ago this also turned into a "customs nightmare" for me. They got stuck and the procedure required to get them includes

- first going to the department of agriculture to get them tested (if you can that is)
- possibly paying ~ 1000 TL to get a customs broker to do the customs job for you.

I think they are doing this to literally wear people out... All the hassle for a €50 shipment. The ignorance to correctly categorize these goods for the non-english speaking postal service guy led all to this. I guess some Brouwland people just get lucky.

All this said and done, I would accept any help to get me some hops and yeast :)

Hi guys. Im also in istanbul. I have been brewing with malt extract that i get from uk when im home. I have tried malting barley here but it got mouldy. I would like to try again but cant find barley here. Hops is the next problem and yeast can be re used after each batch.

Back