Maris/Honey Malt recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraphX117

Reaction score
I made a throw together batch today with some stuff I had around....how do ya guys/girls think it will turn out?

6 Gallon Batch

9# Maris Otter
1# Honey Malt
1#Amber DME (I got tired of looking at it in my cupboard)

Mashed at 1.5qt/lb at 152F for 70min

60 min boil with .5oz East Kent at 60,45,30,15

OG ended up at 1.053

Safale s-05 (only yeast I had in house (for emergencies))

I live in the desert so it will ferment at ~70 for ~3 weeks.

So what do you ppl think?

it will be sweet with that much honey malt. i just did a dipa with .25 honey malt with a fg of 1.018 and it had some definite honey like sweetness

I don't know- people go nuts about honey malt being hyper sweet but that's just not been my experience. It's sweeter than light crystals but this beer is sub 10%. I've seen commercial beers with more, and the recommended usage by the manufacturer is up to 20%.

ssooo... it turned out tasting like buttered corn.... heavy dms and diacetyl. I boiled for 90 and kept it right at 70F...i don't know what I did wrong. this is the first time this has happened, coincidentally this is the first time I got grain from this particular LHBS. I am going to try this again (out of principle) with grain from my normal lhbs and see what happens.

two weeks in? Give it some time. I can hardly believe DMS after a 90 minute boil. I do like your tenacity though.

Back