Making rice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phogaboa

Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in making rice wine. Specifically, I want to make Shaoxing yellow wine. My girlfriend is from Shaoxing, and I think it would be really cool to make the same wine that has been made in her hometown for thousands of years. Her grandmother used to make it, so I may be able to learn that way. I have some loose translations from a site, but am not sure about it. Where on the net can you learn all about rice wines?

The closest will probably be https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/making-traditional-rice-wine-cheap-fun-different-361095/ Can't miss it.

There's two main variations on rice wines... three if you want to get chemical. One is where mold is grown on rice then adding water and yeast, making sake, the other is using a mold/yeast combo that's cultured on wheat flour, or possibly rice straw, which is used.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen the specific variations as to the ingredients. I suspect, and some comments also alude to this, that brown rice, instead of white rice, is used, and that it needs to be a short grain "gutenous" rice that's used.

After digging around more. It appears that there may be a method more like the Japanese sake method but using a different type of mold, as well as including millet for Shaoxing wines. I'm still hoping to find more details as this is something I'd like to try myself. The problem is translations, especially from chinese, as the same word means a bunch of different things but only translates to one. ...It's very inexact...

Hello,

I am interested in making rice wine. Specifically, I want to make Shaoxing yellow wine. My girlfriend is from Shaoxing, and I think it would be really cool to make the same wine that has been made in her hometown for thousands of years. Her grandmother used to make it, so I may be able to learn that way. I have some loose translations from a site, but am not sure about it. Where on the net can you learn all about rice wines?

I think you'll find this interesting & useful:
http://www.taylor-madeak.org/index.php
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back