Vanilla bean and Cinnamon ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
G'day all,

I'm making a 5gal/19 ltr Belgium style beer ,but want to try some different
Flavours in it and thought that vanilla and cinnamon would be great flavours to have as I like both.

But I'm not sure on the quantities of each and when is the best time to add
Them in the brew.

Thanks.

Both in very limited amounts at the very end of the boil at flame-out. 1 bean will be fine for 5 gallons, you taste will dictate the cin.

The only draw back to just dropping them in the secondary is possibility of infection. Some recommend if you need to go that route to soak them in vodka to make a tincture, I've never been happy with the taste from that method. I think I would boil enough water to cover them, get the water boiling, drop them in, let it come back to a boil, boil for 2-3min, then cool, then add to the secondary.

The only draw back to just dropping them in the secondary is possibility of infection. Some recommend if you need to go that route to soak them in vodka to make a tincture, I've never been happy with the taste from that method. I think I would boil enough water to cover them, get the water boiling, drop them in, let it come back to a boil, boil for 2-3min, then cool, then add to the secondary.

I use vanilla beans in my vanilla Porter. I simply split the beans down the middle and add to the secondary. I have never had a problem doing it this way

Take 2 vanilla beans and cut them length ways (exposing most of the beans) and toss them into your secondary 4-5 days before bottling.

There's really no need in sanitizing the vanilla beans (just sanitize the plate they are sitting on and the knife you use when you slice them lengthwise). They usually contain a non-oxidative sugar mold growth that can appear in them, but it's really one of the spoilers that will take effect if you don't drink your beer that's in a pint glass for a day or so, so no need to worry about that.

1 bean split down the middle added to secondary, i've never sanitized it.

I've thrown half a cinn. stick in the secondary after spraying with sanitizer and it was more than enough to add spice.

2 sticks would be like drinking an atomic fire ball.

Back