Assembling Gas Pipe Manifold Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevbrew

Reaction score
Is there a certain order in which to assemble the gas pipe manifold for a single tier brewstand?

Do I start the assembly at the burners, or start at the bottom of the manifold?

Thanks

Kevin

I started at the regulator... But I built it off the stand and then mounted it, I found that easier... I did constantly take it to the stand to compare and check...

Does tefon tape/pipe dope need to go on the threads of the high pressure propane jet to burner conection?

What about for the high pressure propane jet to jet adapter connection?

Thanks

I built mine off my stand, them mounted it as well. You really have to torque those pipes to get a good seal. That would be tough to do while it's on the stand. I used teflon tape that was recommended for gas connections. My setup is NG, but I think you'd want to use the tape, or some thread sealer.

What I meant was do I need teflon tape for the brass connections?

For example, the propane jet that connects directly to the burner.

Use a gas specific product. Either dope or tape, but make sure it is rated or intended for gas... Regular white Teflon tape is NOT gas rated, akaik

What I meant was do I need teflon tape for the brass connections?

For example, the propane jet that connects directly to the burner.
connecting black pipe to brass, either tape or dope/putty is fine

But if you use tape, get the yellow tape. It is slightly thicker and less porous and is designed for gaseous use. The white is meant for liquids... It can work, but you're working with an explosive gas so spend the $5 and get the stuff that's safe. :)

I prefered dope/putty as it fills gaps better. Messy, but it's gas...

Use an appropriate thread sealer for gas (as others have described) on any pipe threaded connection. Don't use it on any flared connection. It also isn't needed where the orifice threads into the burner inlet, a leak there just means a very tiny bit more air being pulled into the burner (on some applications like barbeques that isn't even a threaded connection).

I am rebuilding mine. I build it off the frame do some dry fitting first before you tighten eveything up. Use the yellow tape because not all pipe dope is rated for propane so read the lable if you use pipe dope.

I have assembled my manifold for my brewstand but I am getting leaks where the 3/8" male flare and flex gas line are connected. I am not using tape at these connections and I have tightened these connections down as far as they go and still leaking.

Is it safe to use teflon tape at these connections?

Kevin

Check the labels on the gas line. I know parts of the gas lines are only connected to flare male connectors. If this is the case no tape is necessary and will cause a slight leak if tape is used. Check the inside of the gas line. If it also flaired out the the flare male connector will work if not then another adapter is required there. If I am wrong please correct me!

What do you mean by "check the labels on the gas line"?

The flex gas lines are 1/4" high pressure propane hose with 3/8" female flares at either end. I got them made at the local hose supply.

My manifold resembles the idea of that of the blichmann top tier.

If the teflon tape stops the leaks is it safe to use?

Flare connections seal at the ends, not the thread so don't use tape.

Are you sure they are 3/8 female flare to 3/8 male flare?

Maybe a flare washer?

Gas flare fittings are universal are'nt they?

The fittings are brand new.

How tight should I be cranking on these things to get them to seal?

What do you mean by "check the labels on the gas line"?

The flex gas lines are 1/4" high pressure propane hose with 3/8" female flares at either end. I got them made at the local hose supply.

My manifold resembles the idea of that of the blichmann top tier.

If the teflon tape stops the leaks is it safe to use?

I mentioned this because gas line can be either LP or NG. Which are not interchangeable with fittings unless its for NG to LP. Natural gas actually has a low psi that a propane tank. Again if I'm wrong fill me in. Getting info from my fad a who's been in construction for 30+ years. Again he might be wrong as well

If you had the lines done at a shop then in my most humble opinion... ask them. They will give you the true answer

The gas lines I bought are definitely HP LP rated to 300 psi or something like that.

I went home yesterday after work and really cranked down on those fittings and now no more leaks. Guess they were'nt tight enough.

Thanks again for all your guys' help.

Kevin

Back