Messed Up Stout, Now a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraphX117

Reaction score
Today I made what I thought was a stout recipe, but I think I made a porter or a brown ale of sorts. I was just wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this recipe and/or have ideas on what it may taste like. Thank you for your input.

5.75 Gallon Recipe- (Misjudged grain absorption by .25 gallons)

7.5# Golden Promise (lhbs out of maris otter in original recipe)

1.5# flaked oats (lightly toasted)

.75# Briess Victory [Toasted]

.75# uk Pale Chocolate

.50# uk Muntons Dark Crystal 130L

.5oz Phoenix (8.9) @ 30min

1.5 oz Phoenix @ 15 min

mash at 154 for 60min @ 1.33 qt/gallon

Boil for 60min

OG 1.052

I know the hop additions are weird but I had 2oz I wanted to get rid of, and I decided I didn't want too high IBUs

Next time I will type recipe into beersmith first, but my compy was down and I decided "why not?"

So, what do you Guys/Gals think?

I think you've made a good beer. I would have cut back slightly on the oats - I never use more than a pound - and for a stout you should have had some roasted barley to give a little more of the coffee flavor. Nevertheless, you'll enjoy this.

I think it looks good as well. That big, late hop addition will really add some character as well. As hercher said some roasted barley would give you more coffee flavor but not every porter has a ton of that note. Enjoy!

ok..I tried the first bottle of this as a taste test.....and it is flippin amazing! For some reason it only went to 1.020 (1.054 sg) and I got worried, but now I want to make more. I only toasted 1lb of the oatmeal and just threw the rest in. This is definitely my best beer to date. It tastes like...washing down a raisinless oatmeal cookie with mocha. the hops are barely noticeable but the sweetness is perfect. the malty chocolate comes in early, but it finishes with a pleasant, light coffee taste.

From what I've read, GAS, I agree with you. That being said, I've seen many stout recipes that negate the use of roast barley. In my stouts, personally, they always have it but your recipe, Seraph, looks like a killer oatmeal brown porter. A little heavy on the oats I would think but I'm sure it's got impressive mouthfeel to it!

Your recipe is nor a porter nor a stout, it's a Dark Oat beer. But it doesn't mean it can't be a fantastic beer.

the mouth-feel is great. it almost coats your tongue. I have never really known the difference between stouts and porters. I have had many stouts that if I was blindfolded I would know it was a stout...same for porter...but there were quite a few that if I couldn't see it...I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I just like putting things into categories so I know what to tell other people the beer is. I personally dgaf. if it tastes good (drink slow) or it is bad (drink fast).
But if I want to share the recipe, a style would help. I like the "Dark Oat Beer" name. It just sounds cool.

Seraph I think you REALLY MESSED UP Just bottle it all and ship it to me I will discard it for you!!!!!

Back