I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my oregano beer bottled today. Was perfectly clear and the taste delicious. I have never had a batch clear up so quickly. It fermented 3 days, then the yeast just dropped out, added more yeast, fermented another 2 days then started to clear up again. I should have done gravity readings on that one, maybe next time. I can still smell oregano in the fermenter even after cleaning and sanitizing it. It'll be fine.

So now I got an empty fermenter so brewing today. Already to my boil. This time just a basic APA. Happy brew day dance!

:ban:

I'm going to start a sour mash on a saison a little later, so I'm kind of brewing today.

Well, let's dance then. :ban::ban:

I have another beer confession to make. A little embarrassing. I drink my beer at room temperature, I do not refrigerate it. :eek:

Not sure why I do this, but my other beverages I also like at room temperature. I drink a lot of water and never add ice cubes. Straight from the tap, not chilled. When I go to a restaurant and order any non-alcoholic beverage, I ask, please no ice cubes. When I go out and order a beer, I don't like it cold. I'll drink it cold but takes me a long time, I like to let it warm up first. Not sure what is wrong with me expect the German blood lines. I just can't taste it very well when it's cold. Hubby and most of my friends think this is extremely weird.

I have another beer confession to make. A little embarrassing. I drink my beer at room temperature, I do not refrigerate it. :eek:

Not sure why I do this, but my other beverages I also like at room temperature. I drink a lot of water and never add ice cubes. Straight from the tap, not chilled. When I go to a restaurant and order any non-alcoholic beverage, I ask, please no ice cubes. When I go out and order a beer, I don't like it cold. I'll drink it cold but takes me a long time, I like to let it warm up first. Not sure what is wrong with me expect the German blood lines. I just can't taste it very well when it's cold. Hubby and most of my friends think this is extremely weird.

Its what you get used to. When my grandfather was in the navy he did most of his tour in New Guinea. Beer was always warm. When he was allowed to drink beer, I would bring him a cold one, and he would let it warm up on the table before drinking it.

Its what you get used to. When my grandfather was in the navy he did most of his tour in New Guinea. Beer was always warm. When he was allowed to drink beer, I would bring him a cold one, and he would let it warm up on the table before drinking it.

Growing up we drank tea and lemonade, also water, always at room temp. Not sure why we didn't have ice cubes. You are probably right, just what I got used to. :confused:

I'll have to ask my parents why didn't we have ice cubes. Also never had a drink with our meals. It was always after the meal that we got something to drink. Then the family would sit around after dinner and have our drinks.

When the tree guys were here today, they are coming back tomorrow, the boss man tree guy was kneeling down praying at the base of the next tree to be felled. I asked hubby if that was a good sign or not and he said that was a very good thing.

I will often drink my beer right out of the cellar even now but it is rather cold in there most of the year.

Sigh I might need help. I am going to bottle tonight and did not have enough empty bottles so I cleaned the labels off a bunch of my stash bottles so I can bottle. Just not been drinking very much I guess but brewing just as much as always. I enjoy brewing more than I do the drinking :confused:

I will often drink my beer right out of the cellar even now but it is rather cold in there most of the year.

Sigh I might need help. I am going to bottle tonight and did not have enough empty bottles so I cleaned the labels off a bunch of my stash bottles so I can bottle. Just not been drinking very much I guess but brewing just as much as always. I enjoy brewing more than I do the drinking :confused:

This Sunday, 7 friends are coming over to fish. That might take care of a couple cases, if they stay all day and cook up the fish when they are done. Take a few home with them. These guys can really drink some beer. Let's see, 8 people, if I include myself, I bet they can down a 6-pack each, I'll drink 2-3 myself. No such thing as too much beer on hand ;-)

Well, my satellite tv service ended today. Haven't gotten netflix going yet. I guess this is my entertainment for tonight......and it's raining again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOEQTJV_3-w"]YouTube[/ame]

You love this time soooo much that it wears you out fast!
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

This post just gave me deja-vous! I could swear somebody posted this exact phrase before.

Maybe the Zeppelin made me have a flashback or something... :drunk:

I've always liked this song, but I never knew how weird the video was.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone believes in the powers that be, hubby believes in the earth and the sun, storms and rain. If it was meant to be, let him stay here a little longer. The mankind cure for him, chemo, is not possible right now. He got 2 treatments, of the 12 they said he needed to rid him of this cancer and no where close to having the surgery they say he also needs. He has to get better before they can resume. I miss him and need him. I can only will him to get better. He is a good man who just wants to give back to this earth. His name is Bill. He's very sick. He needs a cure. Something to heal him.

I try to be strong, but I am weak. I'm scared. Please ask the powers that be, I want to keep him a little longer, don't take him just yet, there are things we mean to get done. Good things, I need him to stay a little longer.

Is that a typical acerglyn or did you LeadGolemize it? Is maple wine something I should skip out of hand?
As a mead it might be good. As the only fermentable in a batch, it really isn't. I will personally be reserving it for back sweetening just before pasteurizing. As far as I could tell, the maple flavor fermented out almost completely.

Ah, so you have a palate. When it is really cold, you can't taste beer much. No complexity of flavor, no matter if it's there or not. Plus the aroma is pretty much non-existent. When I drink beer, I prefer it cool. Like 50-60f or so.

Me too. Apparently that's very common among HBT members.

If anyone believes in the powers that be, hubby believes in the earth and the sun, storms and rain. If it was meant to be, let him stay here a little longer. The mankind cure for him, chemo, is not possible right now. He got 2 treatments, of the 12 they said he needed to rid him of this cancer and no where close to having the surgery they say he also needs. He has to get better before they can resume. I miss him and need him. I can only will him to get better. He is a good man who just wants to give back to this earth. His name is Bill. He's very sick. He needs a cure. Something to heal him.

I try to be strong, but I am weak. I'm scared. Please ask the powers that be, I want to keep him a little longer, don't take him just yet, there are things we mean to get done. Good things, I need him to stay a little longer.
I talked, she listened. Beyond that, I know not.

You have my support Bobbi... However I feel very strongly that the departed will live and love again. Not in an obscure place of harps and cherubs, but in the same place that was created for our occupancy, and for times indefinite. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Bill is truly fortunate to have someone like you to watch after him through his time of hardship.

Best wishes for your husband and you too Bobbi. He sounds like a very strong man, and I know he'll give that cancer one hell of a fight until he kicks it in the arse!

BobbiLynn,

Will spend a little more time tonight on that topic. Thoughts and prayers to you and Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, hubby actually is strong right now, since being off the chemo again, so I get to be weak for a little while. We are a team and that's why thinking about him not being here anymore is so difficult.

Okay, so how so I make ricotta cheese? Where do I start? :p

I got some new toys today. This knife actually came sharp, it just needed the blade touched up slightly. A better set of lockpicks to play with. It's a brass paperweight, no really...

pocketknifelockpickspaperweight.JPG

Last night I dreamed about picking locks, no idea what that dream meant. Except maybe that I secretly want to break into a safe full of gold bars.

Leadgolem said:
I got some new toys today. This knife actually came sharp, it just needed the blade touched up slightly. A better set of lockpicks to play with. It's a brass paperweight, no really...

You going to give that cobbler the what for?

Why, oh why, didn't I take notes on this black cherry wine. This is the best wine I've ever tasted. :confused:

And, oh yes, LG, anything too hot or too cold dulls the senses, I like that word for it, a palette(wrong spelling?). I do like to taste what I am eating or drinking.

Not so much a fan of this genre, but there is a lot of music coming out of this little girl, and she has a beautiful voice. The rapping thing is a little too much.
[ame]http://youtu.be/RlIaXZgAx88[/ame]

Okay, so how so I make ricotta cheese? Where do I start? :p

From my recent studies I'd say start by letting a gallon of whole milk expire for a week. Then use the instructions from the mozzarella video I posted a few pages back (I'll re-post if you like). The spoiled milk seems to always end up making ricotta instead of mozz...

On another note...
I know to other people it isn't anything special, but my daughter made a coffee mug in her art appreciation class in college. I think it's super cool, and I'm very proud of her creativity. I raised her by myself since she was 6, so I get a little excited at how far she has come in life. Even if today it's just something simple from an elective class.

IMG-20130423-00785.jpg

Stauffbier said:
From my recent studies I'd say start by letting a gallon of whole milk expire for a week. Then use the instructions from the mozzarella video I posted a few pages back (I'll re-post if you like). The spoiled milk seems to always end up making ricotta instead of mozz...

On another note...
I know to other people it isn't anything special, but my daughter made a coffee mug in her art appreciation class in college. I think it's super cool, and I'm very proud of her creativity. I raised her by myself since she was 6, so I get a little excited at how far she has come in life. Even if today it's just something simple from an elective class.

Cool! My 8 year old sons little advertisement for a local bank was chosen to be in the paper today. All the little things that make us glad we feed them ;) keep up the good work!

image-1636414987.jpg

Just think back and try to remember!!! Re-cross your steps or whatever they call it, think back!
:rockin:
The thing is, I made this batch last September. I've got a good memory, but I might cross things up with another batch.

Hmm, well. I can limit the number of ingredients a fair amount.

I didn't have any fresh cherries in the house at that time. There is no other flavor other then cherries. So, I've got two options from what would have been in the house for a primary flavor component.

RW Knudsen "Just Black Cherry" juice, or maraschino cherries. Based on the fact that I do have something I titled just "Cherry Wine" from about a month later that has both in it, I think this batch is straight black cherry juice.

All of my experiments from that same time used either champagne yeast, or distillers yeast. So that narrows the yeast strain down a lot too.

I would lean toward the champagne yeast. The flavor isn't in the slightest spicy, and distillers usually comes out a touch spicy.

The two real questions left are: Did I add sugar to the batch? Did I dilute the juice?

Based on the low abv of 6.8% I don't think I added sugar. Usually, I get a little heavy handed with sugar and end up around 12-15%.

Based on the intensity of the flavor, I think the answer to dilution is also no. I just don't think you could come close this this flavor with watered down juice.

So, that gives me a probably batch composition. Dead simple, but expensive. That would also explain why I've only got the two bottles.

I'll run some experiments then. Straight juice, juice diluted with sugar, juice diluted with sugar and maraschino cherries added to secondary. I'm excluding the distillers yeast from the experiment for the moment.

Back