Deinekles' No-fuss bottling method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Well, I've tried both the "return to primary vessel and mix priming sugar" and Deinekles' method of putting the sugar solution into the secondary and stirring gently, and I have to say I'm convinced that Dein's way is better in terms of aeration. The trub is undisturbed, and you really introduce no air into the batch. I'm totally sold. Thanks again D.

I'm not sure I understand....I always just rack it over to my bottling bucket, leaving any trub back in the secondary. Then I mix in the sugar, stir gently, and bottle.

I think I understand what you're saying and it might help me. I've been thinking about ways to make a bottling bucket or just use a 5 gal cooler with a spigot but if its better to just bottle from the secondary with a syphon after the priming solution is gently stirred in, then my problems are solved. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
TheFratGuy

All I'm doing now is boiling up a cup or so of water, with a cup or so of priming sugar in it. Then I get the liquid spinning slowly in the 2ndary carboy (using the sanitized handle-end of my long spoon) and with a sanitized funnel that has a tube on it (for no splash), I just pour the sugar solution into the secondary.

The great advantage of this is that you have not disturbed the layer of CO2 on top of the beer, so even if you splash a bit, you are not "airating" the beer. Let the thing stand about a half hour (or, say, while you clean your bottles?? :) ) and then bottle right out of the secondary. The trub is basically undisturbed. Works like a damn, no chance of contamination, and removes one uneccessary "pour" of the beer.

Back