Am I crazy? Should I rethink this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conskies

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I'm in the planning stages for my next extract brew. I had been thinking of a Citrus/orange infused Imperial(aka Double) IPA done in the spirit of Pliny the Elder. To construct the recipe I've taken the MoreBeer Vinnie's Pliny the Elder extract recipe and tweaked the hops used, added .5lbs crystal 40L to make a total of 1lb of steeping grains, and added .5lbs of light DME and 1lb of ultralight LME. I have also reducing the boil to 60minutes (but I'm thinking of going back to the 90minute).
The additional malts push the calculated ABV from ~8%(the original Pliny the Elder) to ~9.5%.
I am also thinking of maybe 'dry hopping' an ounce of either dried Bitter or Sweet Orange Peel in the last few days before bottling (most likely, 4 days out from bottling). Anyways without further to do, here's what I have so far:

Boil size: 6 gallon
Batch size: 5.5 gallon
Steep (30 minutes, up to 170C)
• 2 oz Amarillo Hops(Whole)
• 1 lb Crystal 40L

Boil:
60 minutes
• 10 lb Ultralight Liquid Malt Extract (LME)
• 1 lb Light Dried Malt Extract (DME)
• 1 lb Corn Sugar
• 8 oz Maltodextrin
+ For bittering
• 1 oz Magnum Hops (pellets)
• 1 oz Simcoe Hops (pellets)
45 minutes
• 1 oz Zythos Hops (pellets)
30 minutes
• 1 oz Sorachi Ace Hops (pellets)
10 minutes
• 1 lb Corn Sugar
5 minutes
• Whirlfloc tablet
Flame-off
• 1 oz Citra Hops (pellets)
• 1 oz Mosiac Hops (pellets)

Yeast used Liquid California Ale WLP001(two vials/packets)

Dry Hop Additions
• 1 oz Citra Hops- 7days out from Bottling
• 1 oz Zythos Hops- 5days
• 1 oz Sorachi Ace Hops- 4days
• 1 oz Sweet Orange Peels (or 1 oz of Bitter Orange Peels)- 4days

Using the Brewer's Friend Beer Recipe Calculator: Original Gravity:1.097 Final Gravity: 1.026 ABV: 9.42% IBU: 147.53 SRM: 8.54

Ultimately, I'd be using 3 fewer ounces than Pliny the Elder, which I could foresee as causing it to miss its intended mark (especially with the additional malts). Because of this, I've rationalized (to myself) that substituting Amarillo for Cascade in the steeping would lead to greater IBU(or closer to Pliny).
The calculated BU/GU ratio is 1.52!
Anyways, what are your thoughts?
Cheers!
:mug:
*I'm not going to brew this for a few months, not until after I move to ID. So there is plenty of time to talk this recipe over!

Back