One Grain, One Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do a forum search on SMaSH. capitalization does not matter. There are plenty. Usually people use them to get an idea of what individual ingredients taste like. Basically you build a recipe, usually to the style of a pale ale, out of a base grain with different hops/yeasts to get an idea how things work. Some people love their smash recipes enough to rebrew their favorites.

Another good way to use a SMaSH, once you learn what that grain and hop does together, is to then start layering other elements into it for future batches. I built my APA this way, starting with all 2 row and Cascade hops and then adding some crystal and Summit in the next version. It can be very educational and helps when trying to learn what effect different ingredients have.

Is there a beer out there brewed with one grain and one hop?

There was anyway. Samuel Adam's release of New Albion Ale in January was the only example of a commercial SMaSH beer I knew of. Mikkeller does single hop beers, but I don't believe they do SMaSH's.

Would a blended hop count? Like Zythos our Falconer's Flight. Those would be interesting with a vienna malt base

Back